Sunday, August 03, 2008

Caption Writer

Strewth is one of my many training partners. She claims not to be one of the odd ones — unless you think running through freezing puddles when there is a perfectly dry path around them a sign of oddness. Strewth is handy with the digital camera, and she timed the shutter release on the photo below to perfection.

It shows me "racing" the young girl in the 3000 metres that I wrote about in my last post. I'm making one of my many fruitless attempts to overtake. On the infield is another of my training partners, Kathy. Well, when talking about Kathy, the term "training partner" is not totally accurate. I'm barely quick enough to keep up with her on warm-up runs. She holds the Australian Record in the 3000 metres for females aged 50-54, with 10:42.87.

My analytical eye has spotted one obvious weakness in my running technique — my stride, after months of distance running, is very short and weak. I'm open to caption suggestions for this photo. One friend has already offered "The whole crowd is on their feet"! The winning suggestion will receive the following exclusive prizes: 1. The honour of having your caption used for the photo with a link to your blog; 2. A virtual six-pack of Steve's award-winning Nenmatsu Tripel beer!

Ewen races the girl, 3000mLily du Maurier-Passante, Daughter of France's Secretary of Crepes, is well protected by her bodyguard Laurent Yves St Claire-Monfrere.
[caption by - KK Cookies & Cream]

18 comments:

Thomas said...

"The Parable of the Old Man and the Young" (here).

speedygeoff said...

I have already used ".. at one end of the scale... " on my blog, implying imbalance. So let's submit something different. How about "Future Olympic Competitor In Training". Which combines (a) the implication that Ewen is a stepping stone on the road to someone's success, with (b) a rather doubtful but highly appropriate acronym.

Stephen Lacey said...

"In an extremely tactical race, Ewen desperately attempted to draw level and use the one tactic left up his sleeve: the brutal hip shove."

Anonymous said...

Lily du Maurier-Passante, Daughter of France's Secretary of Crepes, is well protected by her bodyguard Laurent Yves St Claire-Monfrere.

TA and the Gnome said...

Pick on someone your own size little girl...

Superflake said...

The Long and the Short of track racing.

Runner Susan said...

That gnome title is pretty funny.

What kind of shoes are you wearing? They are so blue.

Anonymous said...

wannabecoach said

"Bugger, now she is lapping me on the inside"

Dubs said...

Young rabbit set to pace Ewen as he sets a new meet record.

Although I do love - "Pick on someone your own size little girl..." made me laugh out loud! Rob and Anonymous were pretty good too.

If you aren't careful, you might have stepped on her. She is a little thing!

Kelley Flood said...

Is this a dream any minute now I will wake up and this nightmare will go away... Kelley

Grellan said...

"The Bodyguard"

Anonymous said...

I think that photo is wonderful Ewen. It demonstrates one of the things that make this sport so wonderful. The long & the short, the young & the older, all out there working together & having a bit of fun. Keep up the good work. I'm sure one day you will figure out what works best for you.
I vote for the 'Pick on someone your own size, little girl'.
Southy

Stu Mac said...

I know 'we' are not the voters, but I would vote for IHateToast's post!

Bruce said...

How about " As usual Ewen never misses an opportunity to draft off a fellow competitor".

Sling Runner said...

Big brother ?

jen said...

I love the picture! I like IHateToasts's caption. :D

Ewen said...

Thanks one and all for your caption suggestions.

Picking a winner was terribly difficult, so I called in the head judge from the Beijing Olympic Games synchronised singing competition, Wang Anthomeo Sanderwich. In his own words: "The winner is Katerly"!

strewth said...

Great caption option - that toastie has a vivid imagination!!