Sunday, July 27, 2008

Comes a Time

I'm tired. I ran in a 3000 metre race at the track this afternoon — finished 11th in 12:19.93. This is a very long way from 11:07. So far away, that I now doubt my ability to run such a time.

Anyway, it was an interesting race. The Speedygeese cheer-squad and odd other friends offered me enthusiastic encouragement from the sidelines. I had a serious (and fun) battle with a young girl over the last 5 laps. Each time I pulled up beside her to overtake, she would surge ahead with youthful impetuousness. I made my last attempt with 200 metres to run — she might have said "see ya later old man" by the way she sprinted off to thrash me by three whole seconds!

Today marks the end of my first week of the hill/speed phase of Lydiard training. It comes after 13 weeks of base training, averaging 95 kilometres (or 9 hours) of aerobic running per week. I decided that 13 weeks was long enough — my aerobic improvement seemed to have reached a plateau.

I've reduced my weekly mileage to around 75 kilometres. This should be enough to maintain aerobic fitness. I've also introduced a "hill run" — a 13.9 kilometre circuit which includes 18 short hills of various gradients. In addition to this, I plan to run two track sessions per week, starting with fairly aerobic, race-paced intervals one day, and shorter 'leg-speed sprints' the other. After a certain number of weeks (not sure exactly) of this, I'll move on to the anaerobic phase of training. Just quietly, I'm looking forward to this part — that lung-burning, leg-dead sensation is a far too distant memory.

My 13.9 kilometre hill courseCity lights make my hill course a great one to run at night

22 comments:

Sling Runner said...

Re: low glycogen efefct on HR. I got the info from Tinman who used to post a lot in Lets Run.

http://www.therunzone.com/VB/showthread.php?t=966&highlight=heart+rate

There should be some science papers out there !!

Two Fruits said...

I recognise those tracks, now get Strewth to run with you, and take her up to the top of Tuggie Hill, just for the view. Happy training.
Another PB at SFT!!

Runner Susan said...

It should always be fun! I don't think anyone is reading my blog for my record-breaking marathon times.

This Lydiard sounds like a really intense plan . . . maybe that's why my 12 week marathon plan isn't getting faster.

Thomas said...

13 weeks of base training should definitely be enough. Don't worry too much about the slow 3k - your times will improve significantly after some anaerobic training.

Grellan said...

With a bit of speedwork your first target should be your recent M50 3k PB and then push as far as you can towards the elusive 11:07 without beating yourself up.

Hamburglar said...

I will be interested in how your 3k time changes in the coming weeks/months.

How you run in Canberra after dark amazess me???

Anonymous said...

Wannabecoach said

I suspect it is an out and back course. It will be interesting to see if you succumb to taking the short cut from the power station to your home on the way back (or perhaps on the way out).

plu said...

Just do 6km runs and turn up to Six Foot.

Plu

Anonymous said...

Odd friends are the best friends

Rob said...

Ah! there is nothing like the lung-burning, leg-dead sensations. I keep them for special occasions, like training for the Canberra marathon.

Superflake said...

Better luck this weekend in the 5k Ewen. See you at C2S where I reckon you will beat me in my current shape.

Rachel said...

No wander you are tired with all that training! I'm sure that elusive 11.07 is just around the corner.

strewth said...

It was great fun cheering you guys on - you and all those "little" people. Glad I was a speedygoose and not one of your "odd" friends!

Sky said...

Considering where you're at in your training I think you're actually quite close to that 11:07 - even though I know if feels so far! When we were 20 we could knock out a fast one with just a little aerobic training but now we have to really work at that fast stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress over the next several weeks!

Dubs said...

Well, you just got out of your base phase right? It takes more than a couple of weeks for your speed to sharpen back up. I think what you have done will pay dividens once you start getting more speed work (not just hills) and sharpen.

Neat picture - those switchbacks are a sure sign of an incline!!

trailblazer777 said...

I like the pic! cool!...good to see some training variety. the 11.07 is there for the taking when the time is right.

jojo said...

errrrrrrrrr yeah i would assume 75kms should maintain fitness.. im still only up to 50kms :( what a slacker

Tesso said...

Old man take a look at my life, I'm a lot like you, though I just want to do 11:40 something.

Gotta hang on to the dream!

Anonymous said...

three seconds?! and you still have the heart to run some more? three seconds? dude, in mayfly terms, that's the length of adolescence. man. you're going to need help. want my cane? should I send you some adult diapers?

Anonymous said...

wannabecoach said

Ewen,
Be very careful on that course. Two Fruits deposits bucketloads of perspiration turning the track into a quagmire when using the loop for a speed session.

Ewen said...

Sling, thanks for that link.

Wannabe, if I were a fast 800m runner like some coaches were, I'd be taking the short-cut every time! The track is wet today from rare rain, not 2fruits' perspiration.

HB, having run that track a zillion times, I know every stone, so in the dark is easy with a headlamp.

IHateToast, if you think I'll run faster with adult diapers, I'll give it a bash - anything to have a 3k PB faster than Tesso's.

jen said...

The hill circuit sounds perfect, and combined with the track work should make for great training. Keep it up! :)