Wednesday, August 13, 2008

25 City to Surfs

On Sunday I joined 70,000 friends for the annual dash of the lemmings from Sydney to Bondi. It's the biggest "fun run" in Australia, and I must like it because I keep coming back — 25 times and counting.

It was a good day! I joined the A1 starting group 15 minutes before Jana Rawlinson fired the gun, chatting to speedygoose Adam as sporadic second-hand clothing flew over our heads. This year the City to Surf had timing chips, so there was no need to panic about the 40 seconds it took to reach the start.

I found some running room on the left footpath and stayed there until the tunnel. The rest of my race went pretty smoothly — I caught "The Legend", Keith Mayhew running up the Edgecliffe hill. Keith has run all 37 City to Surfs, for the first twenty years they were all faster than 50 minutes! I ran past O'Sullivan Road (5k) in 22:52 and knew I was on for a quicker time than last year's 69:16. The climb up heartbreak hill went well. 47:56 at 10k, then shortly after, the brilliant rush down to the white sands and blue ocean of Bondi Beach. 64:54 on the finish clock gave me 2,484th place.

Thinking back on the race, I'm most pleased about how I felt. The mild day no doubt played a part — 7 to 16°C, but I think the switch to 'phase 2' of Lydiard training made a big difference. I felt an unusual reserve of speed in the legs. I wasn't at my limit the whole way — I hope that's a feeling I can retain for the track season.

Eagle's view of Bondi BeachBondi Beach looks great from the air!

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

The usual suspect said

So Jana did not shoot herself in the foot again?

jojo said...

sounds like a great run. Track, the best part of the year, looks good :)

Grellan said...

Very solid race Ewen and a great improvement over last year.

Showing elevation against time makes the hills appear steeper the slower you go.

Anonymous said...

what a rhymey good timey:
six four five four
two four eight four
one fish two fish
red fish blue fish.

strewth said...

Fantastic time Ewen - like a fine wine you improve with age!! I missed you today - it was dark and lonely out there on my lonesome!!

Samurai Running said...

Hey Ewen

I watched this race with a beer in my hand, yes a 9;00am, from our Airlie Beach cabin. I thought you were running.

No need to explain the draw of this race it looked like a sensational atmoshpere. And that was a solid time! Nothing like getting faster as one gets older. All the best for this running season.

speedygeoff said...

What have they done with the real Keith Mayhew? I couldn't beat him in my heyday. (Or hayday? Where's your spell checquer?)

Sarah said...

Congrats on 25 C2Ss, and a great run!!!

Runner Susan said...

Wow Ewen, 2,484th place out of 70,000 makes you one of the best! That is really, really fast! good for you.

Tesso said...

Wow, great run! I was looking out for you but you must've run past me too fast.

Anonymous said...

I was there...well in front of the TV watching the channel 9 coverage...apparently the C2S was the biggest Funrun this year in the world...can't imagine competing in the same run 25 times...yet...I am only up to 3 C2Bs in Adelaide.

Phil said...

7C ... I'll be on the next plane!

Great race ... congratulations.

Cirque said...

Congratulations Ewen. I must try and get to Sydney for this next year.

Superflake said...

Congratulations Ewen great time. 25 years hey, you have run 350klms to Bondi.
The graph shows that Six Foot and C2S are just the same. Downhill courses. You must have passed me as I waddled up to the tunnel.

Dubs said...

SO BEAUTIFUL!! Congrats on a great race! So glad to hear the legs kicking in! Fantastic!!

That placing has you in the top 3.5% of the race!! So cool!!

You are using Lydiard and going way fast, Mike uses them and is in the absurdly top places in marathons.. hmmm... I see a trend. ;)

Ewen said...

Speedygeoff, the real Keith Mayhew has a new wife - looks like he's been living the good life for the past year or so - drinking the beers Scott has passed up. Before that he was still running close to 5 minutes for 1500m on the grass track out at Girraween.

Rob said...

Good one Ewen, Well done. Sorry about the zimmer frame.

trailblazer777 said...

Cool graphic/photo at bottom of that post!!!

2nd biggest race in Australia on in Perth in a few weeks, be my 10th one...

25 C2S's wow thats heaps, and big Congrats on the 4minute improvement on last year, going well! obviously.

Anonymous said...

The usual suspect said

Methinks Jana took good aim and shot Tamsyn in the foot instead.

Sling Runner said...

25 C2S, wow! Solid effort considering the hills.

Stephen Lacey said...

"I see you, shakin' that ass, shakin that ass!"

Well done on No 25. Bloody hell. That really underlines your credentials as a runner. If my Achilles doesn't get better I will be nothing more than a 5-year flash in the pan.

miners said...

very impressive tally of C2S mate! Very envious

Great to see you briefly down there :)

Bill Carter said...

Hi Ewen

Just getting caught up with you and it sounds like everything is going great with your running. 70,000 runners and finishing at the water sounds absolutely amazing. BTW, congrats on running a great time and destroying last years time..

But now to the serious stuff. I've looked at the photo from your previous post more than a couple times and I am quite sure that your competition is at least a full stride (one of hers!) out in front.?. I love that pic and it is absolutely priceless.

Best of luck my friend.

Phil said...

Cool ... really cool! Solid performance (again)

2P said...

Congratulations on your Silver anniversary of C2S's.

speedygeoff said...

Eagle's view? Eagle sure gets around.