Sunday, April 17, 2005

"What has passed is already finished with...

What I find more interesting is what is still to come." is a quote attributed to Emil Zátopek.
And so, I will put the 2005 Canberra Marathon behind me. I once wrote an editorial about "never making excuses". It was written for the benefit of young runners. Specifically teenagers. Be prepared for your race and do it to the best of your ability. If things don't go well, congratulate your rivals and train better for your next race. Don't make excuses. Teenagers are lucky. They (usually) don't run marathons.
In my own mind I have figured out what may have gone wrong with my marathon. Some would say I stuffed up the pacing but that's not true. I felt comfortable at the 20km mark. Things can go wrong quickly in marathons. I needed to walk and stretch my hamstrings at 24km.
Flash and Miss Pink had just run past. They were looking good. I walked and then ran for a while with Mr G, Spud and Truckie when they caught up. Soon after I decided to walk to the finish. I wanted badly to get there. I took off my shoes with about 4km to go and walked barefoot. The bitumen was hot. After 400m I put the shoes back on without socks. That felt good. I walked to the finish.
For the record, here are my splits: 35 seconds to the start line (started at the back of the field with Plu). 5km 25:26, 10km 50:25 (24:59), 15km 1:15:59 (25:34), 20km 1:41:48 (25:49). Half marathon 1:47:33. Second half marathon 2:50:06. Finished in 4:37:39.

2 comments:

Horrie said...

I had no idea your marathon went so pear shaped Ewen. I guess it just wasn't your day. With the heat and so soon after 6 Foot Track, I guess your legs said enough is enough. You will have better days.

Unknown said...

Wombatface, you walked barefoot on that hot road surface! I didn't know! Now I'll have to shed more tears... for you this time! We can only do better next time round...if it comes around for Chickybabe!