Sunday, April 22, 2012

A 10k PB of sorts

My running is going well. I haven't raced since the 5000 but have enjoyed a couple of particularly encouraging training runs. I think I may have jumped off a plateau (the 22-minute 5k plateau) to a slightly higher level of fitness. There were two runs in particular over the last fortnight that gave me cause for excitement. On the 11th of April I ran a 10k bike path course in 53:18 for an aerobic cost of 688 heart-beats per km. Then this past Wednesday I ran my 'School 10' course at 696 heart-beats per km, which was a personal best for this course (I hadn't been under 700 before).

Apart from the pleasing HR/pace data, on many outings my running is feeling good. When running I sense some springiness in the legs and am 'doing it easy' more often than not. Following Bob's advice in a comment on my last post, I ventured out to Stromlo Forest Park this morning and ran 3 x 1000m with 1k jog recoveries. The times weren't particularly flash (4:40, 4:37 and 4:28), but I felt like I was holding back a lot and running comfortably (my HR only got up to 153 on the last repeat). So I'm looking forward to my next serious race — not sure when that will be — perhaps a track 3000 at the first High Noon meeting in May.

For training, I've been running with the following pattern: Monday 8k, Tues 15k, Weds 8k, Thurs 15k, Fri 8k, Sat 15k, Sun 15k for a total of 84k per week. Effort-wise, I start each run with the intention of running at a 'good' pace (if the legs and energy levels are agreeable), which turns out to be around 80% of HR maximum or a pace of between 5:20 and 5:40 per kilometre. My overall weekly average pace would be a good bit quicker than it was a year or two ago. I'm trying to run with a springy quick stride, which I think is helping to (slowly) build some leg-strength. I'm watching the London Marathon at the moment and hoping Marty Dent can run the 2:12 he needs to qualify for the Olympics.

Some geese near the riverAbi took this photo of us during our long run beside the Molonglo River

22 comments:

strewth said...

Sad that Marty would have missed out on qualifying but gee it was a fast race! Great that you are running so well. The streak is working for you definitely:)What's more you will enter a new age group soon so more challenges ahead!

Black Knight said...

A solid week of training. I see that you are also working on the high mileage and not only on the speed. Any half or marathon in your near future?
Now I suggest to take advantage of this good period to sign up for some important race.

Lize Brittin said...

It's great to see you keeping on with the good training. :)

Girl In Motion said...

So exciting!! Real progress is happening, I'm thrilled for you. You deserve every dropping second and heartbeat that comes your way. What a handsome crew of runners, too.

speedygeoff said...

Looks like there WILL be 3k races at the High Noon meets. There are for the first two, on 6 May and 20 May. See you at the first one, I'm running a Half Marathon the day of the second one!

Anonymous said...

The improved aerobic capacity is very encouraging. The fairly high volume over the past 3 months has worked well. Now might be the time for some more of the 1Km repetitions to bring you to a peak for 3000m or 5000m in May.

Robert James Reese said...

No rest days at all?

Unknown said...

Good work, Ewen! Be careful now...I see you are soon to enter a new age category and with it will come all the 'joys' of getting older. Still, you're doing really well.... for an old guy! Maybe I should start a streak too!

Ewen said...

Strewth, there were a lot of casualties from the fast pace. If nobody else breaks 2:12, I'd like to see Marty selected as in the earlier attempt he only missed by 20-odd seconds.

Stefano, I'm thinking about running the Gold Coast 10k in July. Also long-term I plan to run the Melbourne Half Marathon in October.

Thanks Lize!

Thanks Flo. Would have been an even more handsome crew if I'd used the photo with Abi and not myself ;-)

That's great Geoff. Distance runners ARE catered for! I can't run the 6 May one as the Nail Can Hill Run is on the same day.

Canute, I'm planning on doing weekly (more or less) 1k repeats at Stromlo and will most likely aim for the 3000 on 20 May.

RJR, that's right - no rest days. Yoshihisa Hosaka is over 60 and never has rest days. If I really feel like I need a day off I'll do a light 4 or 5k jog.

Thanks LLs! You're doing OK too (for an old bird). I'm hanging out for the 70-99 age-group ;-)

Grellan said...

Your running is in a good place at the moment Ewen. Impressively high mileage for you - must have something to do with it.

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Great to see your feeling good and can see signs of improvement in your training, nice one mate.
It's a bit sad so few none African guys can make the 2.12 qualifying time for the Olympics.
i keep thinking of Steve Jones braking the world record back in the 80's with a first half of 1.01 !!! The UK's only promising marathon runner is Scott Overall but even this P.B. will leave him floundering in the Olympic race.

Ewen said...

Thanks Grellan. Yes, definitely think the higher mileage has helped. 50+ miles/week without a real long run is a good volume of aerobic running for me at the moment.

Rick, yes, not sure why. We had a lot of guys running 2:08-2:12 in the 70s and 80s - Clayton, Farrington, Deek, Henry, Mona, Barrett, Chettle, Camp... These days though, if you're not running 2:06 you won't even get a look at the Africans.

Friar said...

Hope I'm not too late to wish you a happy birthday Ewen.

And it sounds like you are still running strongly (I won't mention pace or speed though.)

Keep on enjoying the running activity and fraternity.

Jog Blog said...

Hey Ewen. You are continuing to run well and continuing to improve certain aspects of your running because you keep thinking and exploring different training related options. I think that for all of us "mature" and "more mature" runners that is the key to both age/gender relative improvement, and also long term enjoyment and longevity.

Ewen said...

No Friar, not too late. Yes running strongly at the moment - hope when I eventually retire I'm running strongly enough to make it up the hill at the BBQ Stakes.

Jog, good points. I want to still be enjoying my running when I make the 70-99 age-group at the Australian Running Festival ;) Seriously though, I'm finding different strengths/weaknesses as I age so what worked 20 years ago isn't necessarily going to work now.

speedygeoff said...

Yes those 99 year olds are fair game once you're 70. And think how fit you can get in only 15 years minus one day!

Sling Runner said...

I like the alternating 8k/15k runs. Very simple as we, runners often tend to over complicate things. Like others said you'll benefit greatly from the aerobic volume

Ewen said...

Geoff, a few 95-year-old scalps will do me ;) When I'm 70, you'll be 79 - can I finally beat you then?!

Sling, yes it's working well thus far. I borrowed the pattern from a bloke who broke 3 hours for the marathon at 50 - he'd run double the time he ran the previous day then half etc, gradually increasing the time. I'm thinking of alternating big weeks and small weeks too.

Unknown said...

There used be 7 days in a week! When did Thursday get wiped out?

Ewen said...

Thankyou Luckylegs! I found it hiding under my pile of dirty dishes ;-)

Unknown said...

Another good one, Ewen!

Ewen said...

If you're reading this and wondering why I haven't blogged in a while, the reason is a combo of business at work and full weekends. I have something exciting I want to write about... hopefully I'll have time to do so later this week.