Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Long Flight to Vegas

I'm on Continental Airlines Flight UA*0052 to Houston, so have some time to write. We're taking the scenic route to Vegas: From Logan Airport in Boston (where we left the Buick, a great car by the way) to Houston, Texas, then 50 minutes later to Las Vegas in Nevada. Five weeks of the trip down and one to go.

I must apologise for being a slack-arsed bastard in not reading and commenting on blogs the past five weeks. I've missed that, but when one is with friends, it's a case of compromise in the time-on-line department. So I've been keeping up with emails, Facebook updates, and my running diary — that's about it. Hope you're all running well and enjoying life.

I've managed to run every day, so that's quite a bit of exploration on foot of the U.S. and Canada. The list: Los Angeles, Washington DC, New York, Boston, Brunswick, Bar Harbor, Quebec, Montreal, Toronto, Niagara Falls, Buffalo, Lake Placid, Killington and Haverhill. Coming up is Las Vegas — don't know where the hell I'll run there!

I'm running well (I think), going by average heart-rates on all my runs (which have ranged in distance from 5 to 10 kilometres). 5:30 per kilometre pace (8:51 miles) is feeling very easy and produces an AHR of around 127. This is a good bit lower than what I was recording before the trip — 130 to 132. Most of the time my legs are feeling springy, so I think it's this that's producing good running economy. I wouldn't have thought that 60 kilometre weeks would give me huge aerobic gains.

I missed my one opportunity to race back in New York City, when the Big Apple suffered a heat-wave and I got lost (took the wrong train) on the subway out to Van Cortlandt Park. I think I could be short of race-specific muscular endurance. I suspect I might run somewhere between 21 and 22 minutes for a 5k race, but proving this will have to wait for my return to Australia. Until then, I hope y'all have a good day, and enjoy your running!

Mirror Lake in the fogWhile at Lake Placid I ran two laps of Mirror Lake. It's there in the fog behind me, not very mirror-like.

14 comments:

Girl In Motion said...

What a fun bonus of being in the US, some improved fitness! How fun to look forward to testing it out when you get back. If you ever get back. This was one hell of a long trip for you! Wonderful.

And what a fantastic collection of running locations. Ewen the Explorer. :) Enjoy what's left of your trip!

Anonymous said...

wannabe asked:

Is it true they run clockwise around the track in the northern hemisphere?

TokyoRacer said...

When you take a vacation, you really take a vacation!
Enjoy Vegas, that's a trip in itself (a head trip).

Two Fruits said...

Running while on holidays, always a good way to see the sights, even getting lost has it's benefits. I think you are being missed back home, the girls have no one to talk to. Catch up soon.

Ewen said...

Thanks Flo. It seems like I've been in the US long enough to earn citizenship. My fitness usually plummets when on an OS trip, so happy about this one.

Wannabe, no, not true! I was at the UNLV track last night and all going anti-clockwise: a quick bloke in lane one (4 min ks), a walker in lane 8 (she moved to lane 9 when she realised I was in lane 8 - very thoughtfull) and a bloke sitting in the stands.

Bob, yes, no half measures for Aussies. I'm enjoying Vegas now I've found a track (gate open or hole in the fence to use in the evening).

2F, yes, got to love running holidays. I'm missing the girls too, but don't tell them that or they'll get big heads. Also missing the coffee!

Grellan said...

For an overworked Aussie you sure make up for it on vacation. Glad to see that your running is on track. Enjoy Vegas.

Robert James Reese said...

That sounds like an amazing trip. I can't even imagine what a six week vacation would be like... You hit some great spots here on our continent, and I'm glad that you've been able to run in all of them -- that's the best way to see a new area, I think.

Ewen said...

Grellan, yes! I'm seriously considering retirement when I get home. Working's for mugs.

Robert, try it some time - the first two weeks is just winding down, the next four is when you get into it.

Jog Blog said...

So, with all that good quality holiday training I guess you'll be stepping off the plane and sprinting through the Vets 1/2 marathon on Sunday - yes???

strewth said...

Gosh Ewen, only you could go on holiday in the US, not supersize yourself and return fitter than when you left - not fair to those of us who can't shake the extra kilos from too many holidays and good living! Yes, we are missing you. I did a CJ at Tuesday group and you weren't there to pick me up:( Looking forward to a long coffee catch up on your return. You're too fast to run with me anymore so we'll just have to make up for it in coffees!

Ewen said...

Jog, ah, no!!! 21.1k is way too far, not to mention the jet-lag. 5k would be the maximum distance I could sprint through off my quality holiday training.

Strewth, I'm disappointed my supersizing efforts in the U.S. only resulted in a 1.5kg weight gain. Obviously not enough cheese, meat and donuts. Looking forward to the coffees. If you reduce your training distances to 5 - 8k you'll be able to keep up.

Black Knight said...

You didn't get lost in NYC, it was a dirty trick of the enemy, because they were scared of your participation in the race!
5'30" km is a very good pace because usually we are slower while making "tourism" abroad. Too many changes: food, time, bed ecc.
Enjoy Vegas, I spent good time there.

Black Knight said...

Congrats on the 3 Nations!!!

Ewen said...

Thank you Stefano! The first time in 10 years and we defeat the enemy New Zealand 25-20. Your Italian troops should be very fearful come the World Cup!