Sunday, February 08, 2009

A hot 3000

I ran in my first 3000 metre race for the year on Thursday evening. It was a Dog Day Evening — 33°C (91.4°F for Imperial readers). I'd spent the day working in higher temperatures, so was suffering an alleged "attitude problem" before the race even started.

I ran with restraint in the early stages, zeroing in on "slow Stromlo km repeat pace" — 4:10 for the first kilometre. Inexorably I drifted further behind the Katie/Geoff group, running a second kilometre that was more like 10k race-pace (4:28). With just over a lap to go, Bronwyn came flying past (on her way to a 15 second PB), so I chased with all my legs had (not much), finishing with a time of 13:00.05.

I'm fairly philosophical about the result. My hot weather racing has never been pretty. The effort was there, but the speed was absent. I should have a better idea of how I'm going when this heat-wave subsides. This morning I ran 5k at tempo effort on the lovely manicured grass at Stromlo which compared favourably to a similar session this time last year. Before the run I watched Australia's best distance runners racing for a place on the team for the World Cross Country Championships. Local runners Marty Dent and Emily Brichacek were inspirational, winning the senior men's and junior women's races.

I'd rather be swimming in the damStromlo's dam was more inviting than it's manicured grass this morning

My Sony phone photo of the elite menCollis Bermingham and Lee Troop lead after 2k with Marty Dent in 8th place

17 comments:

strewth said...

Here's hoping it will be much cooler running by Wed or you'll have to run shirtless!!

trailblazer777 said...

some running royalty in that bottom photo. Well done on getting out there on the track, despite the heat. sounds a bit like the 5k I did in similiar conditions a few weeks back...hopefully better conditions and good times not far away, wouldnt want to be in western victoria right now...

Rob said...

Not a bad effort, considering the conditions Ewen. Good character building stuff. Imagine how you will be flying with the same effort in the cooler weather.

IHateToast said...

looks like you need a Dos and Don'ts list for running in very warm (snot hot, toots) weather. (http://tinyurl.com/clrxny)

if i'm not there, it's not hot. just sose you nose.

Mike said...

Good effort Ewen. Tough running in that - hopefully the heat wave will break soon.

Superflake said...

I thought that meant a fast 3000m. Hard to run fast when it is that hot.Get it next time Ewen.

Grellan said...

Well done Ewen - tough going in the heat. I find it difficult to walk in 33c.

Anonymous said...

Every race, even a the bad ones, is good for something. Whether it's teaching you to keep pushing when you're really uncomfortable, or tackling difficult conditions (hills, winds, heat), or just the pure developmental strides racing contributes to...there's something in there. Good effort on a miserable day. Sorry for the terrible fires Australia's suffering.

Anonymous said...

Your tempo 5K on the grass at Stromlo demonstrates that you are in pretty good shape –at least good enough to shave more than a minute off that ‘hot 3K’ time once the temperature settles. However, maybe you are paying a bit too much attention to the stop-watch at the moment. Your ‘epic’ battle with Lily in the 800m last year demonstrates that it can be fun to set a different sort of race target from time to time.

Rachel said...

Glad to know someone else suffers running in the heat. I can commiserate with you. Bring on the cool weather!

jojo said...

well its still faster than my 3km :) heat is a killer in races over 1500

Thomas said...

That's way too hot for a race.
You guys should race more in the winter...

Stu Mac said...

It would have been great to watch the trials. One of the Western Aths girls ran and finished 10th, she was telling me about the heat and how a few of the athletes didn't handle it very well.

Bill Carter said...

Hi Ewen

It is interesting how each and every human body is so unique. I see it in my patient's eyes. No 2 are at all alike and in terms of how our bodies react to different conditions I have to believe it is the same thing. I have a suspicion that your body, for whatever reason, performs better in the cold. Still, I think a very nice performance against some outstanding competition.

rinusrunning said...

Looks hot and what a heat.
Nice pics.
Rinus.
www.rinusrunning.punt.nl

jen said...

Nice run Ewen! I would have stayed home with that heat. Yuck. I heard on the news about your record temps and fires, and I thought of you... running. Crazy, I tell you!!

Great pictures though. Congrats on the race. Have a great week. :)

rinusrunning said...

Thanks Ewen.
www.rinusrunning.punt.nl