Friday, October 03, 2008

Just like Christopher

As much as I love running in mid-pack obscurity, there are times when I daydream about being like Christopher. Moving like him. As far as I know, he's not a runner. He's not the Christopher from Calwell; who was once one of the best middle-distance runners for his age in Australia; who's now training for Olympic distance triathlons.

The Christopher I'm talking about is the one in the Weapon of Choice video. There's one skill this particular Christopher demonstrates that I do quite well — sleep. Point me to a lounge chair and I'll be snoring like a trooper in 30 seconds flat. His other skill is the one that I'll never have — a natural flair for mesmerising movement. The kind of natural movement that's inspiring to watch, and when seen in a runner, offered as an example of "how to run".

Movement like Herb Elliott winning gold by running away from a class field in the Rome Olympics. Like Haile Gebrselassie smiling his way to a 2:03:59 marathon. Like Tirunesh Dibaba in Beijing, sprinting to a phenomenal 29:54.66 victory in the 10,000 metres. I daydream about having that sort of natural running movement. I'd like my mate Trevor to point to me as I run on the grass track at Calwell and say, "Patricia, that's how to run!" instead of, "Don't run like that!"

22 comments:

Superflake said...

Have to get out and pass eventually Ewen. I sleep on planes, chairs anywhere actually.

Dubs said...

haha - cool video!

Unknown said...

Just make sure you wear the suit in your next race. That will do it.

Christopher Walken is hilareous!

Thomas said...

I'm sure walking escalators that way would do wonders for your form.

Sarah said...

That's one of my favourite videos. Christopher Walken is genius :)

trailblazer777 said...

Yeah pretty cool vid. have to get a suit and try out those dance moves in my hotel in Melbourne.
*LOL*

Dibaba comes from the same town as Bekele I just discovered, and for sure Haile will probably break that marathon world record a few more times yet.

Tesso said...

I'll be watching from the sidelines in Melbourne so will give you a wake up belly punch if I see you dozing off in the race.

Unknown said...

Might have to pull out some of those moves at the next race.

Anonymous said...

Lol - that is one of my all time favourite videos, Christopher Walken is so cool :D

Toasty said...

Thanks, have committed the moves to memory and will try a few in Melbourne. At least the chair move, I know I can do.

Unknown said...

Wow! No idea Chris Walken was a dancer...too scarey looking...unlike you!

Anonymous said...

who says you can't do that? you're just inhibited. relax. i think you could do all those moves.

you and mark could have drop off and snooze contests.

Grellan said...

That man can move - but his acting is superb.

Sling Runner said...

Cool video ! All the best in Melbourne 10k !!

Anonymous said...

I never tire of that video, very hypnotic

Runner Susan said...

That was fun. I love Christopher Walken and Fatboy Slim.

Love2Run said...

Great video and great actor. Didn't know he could move like that. Smash that 50+ PB next week now will ya?

Anonymous said...

As much as I love running in mid-pack obscurity, there are times when I daydream about being like Christopher. Moving like him. As far as I know, he's not a runner. He's not the Christopher from Calwell; who was once one of the best middle-distance runners for his age in Australia; who's now training for Olympic distance triathlons.

Samurai Running said...

Great stuff Ewen, but you might need a "walken intervention"

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=4RITuCVqbwY

Samurai Running said...

"About an Ewen"

Hey Ewen I've just got through translating your blog intro into a few dialects.

SOME BLOKES SAY I FINK ABOUT RUNNIN' TOO MUCH. HERE ARE THEM FOUGHTS. (Cockney)

Omesay eoplepay aysay Iyay inkthay aboutyay unningray ootay uchmay. Erehay areyay osethay oughtsthay. (Pig Latin)

Some sucka's say ah' dink about runnin' too much. Lop some boogie. Here is dose doughts. (Jive)

Some peopwe say I think about wunning too much. Hewe awe those thoughts. Oh, dat scwewy wabbit! (Elmer Fudd)

Some varmints say ah reckon about runnin' too much. Hyar is them thunks (Redneck)

Cool ayy?

Bill Carter said...

Hi Ewen

Great video. Walken is one of the few actors that I would actually like to meet and sit down and have a few beers with.

Of the runners you mentioned, and they are all amazing, I think what Haile just did is absolutely remarkable. The marathon is SO long and just so hard and to do it that fast.... AMAZING!

Best of luck with your running.

Ewen said...

Scott, you're stalkin' me with Walkens!

It was a toss-up between the Jive and the Palin (I mean Redneck) translation for me. I'll leave you with my very fluent Japanese:

一部の人々はそれについてはあまり実行していると思うと述べている。ここでは考えている。