Friday, April 11, 2008

She ran out of sight

The Canberra Marathon is on this Sunday. I'm not racing! Not that I was ever talented enough to race a marathon. The marathons I've run have always been a test of endurance. How long could I endure?

Canberra was where I ran my first marathon in 1981 — 3:41:14. This Sunday I'll be joining some friends to watch the excitement unfold by running to various places on the loopy course. Other friends from near and far are running the marathon (or making a spectacle of themselves by dressing up in strange outfits and cheering).

I'm particularly interested in one competitor, 'Luckylegs', who is running yet another marathon at the remarkable age of "three score and sweet eighteen". On Sunday I expect her to run out of sight... not on a dark night, but on a sparkling Autumn morning. I've been coaching Norma for three years, and the 2008 Canberra Marathon will be our last as a team. Yes, I've been sacked! I suspect she's decided to hire a better looking coach, such as Bob.

Some observers think Luckylegs's greatest achievement was her W75 Australian Record for 50k (6:32:28). Others insist it was coming within 8 seconds of the W75 world record for the mile (9:06.88). I believe her greatest achievement was the ability to endure the demands of a such a strict and humourless coach.

I hope you all have an enjoyable weekend. For us in Canberra, I have a feeling it's going to be a goof one!

I like the jet trail in this phone photo
Sunset at Lake Burley Griffin from near the Carillon - 9 April 2008

15 comments:

Tesso said...

Hmmm, wonder how much Bob charges. More than a bob I bet.

Speaking of enduring you will enduring a few belly punches on the weekend.

See you then then.

Superflake said...

See you tomorrow Ewen. Thanks for all your comments the last six months. Much appreciated. Hope to run fast to prove worthy.

Stu Mac said...

Well done on getting LL ready for another marathon! And I know I have missed some posts on both yours & Norma's blogs, but I am SURE that sacked wasn't used!

I laighed when I read the humourless comment, I have heard that many times about my style too.... well done & good luck to the team!

Unknown said...

I don't know, a 3:11PR is pretty darned racy to me.

I'll be cheering for her this weekend. Have fun!

Robert Song said...

Isn't Bob just you with your beard shaved off?

Coaches? Hadd - no one knows exactly who he is. Mike had his Mystery Coach.

Maybe we could label you The Mysterious Coach.

I've got the telephone book tucked under my jumper front in preparation for meeting today.

Sarah said...

Have fun! Give Norma a huge cheer for me!!

Cirque said...

You've done a damn fine job coaching her, Ewen. I bet there will be a few tears in your eyes watching her flash past that finishing post.

Louise said...

going to be a "goof" one?

enjoy. :-)

Samurai Running said...

Hey Ewen

Enjoy the festivities tomorrow.
LL will do you proud. And don't worry "Bob" has nothing on you.

I still don't understand why you don't do the ocassional marathon, after all six foot is longer, isn't it? If I ever do make it to Canberra please promise me that you'll run the marathon there. I'll promise to make it easy for you by throwing a bucket of river water and a hand full of gum leaves on you as I tear by ;)

Anonymous said...

had the people at the restaurant known, maybe they wouldn't have been so slack on getting her order.

it was fun catching up. see you on the gold coast.

Lulu said...

You must have been in disguise all weekend as I didn't spot you anywhere. I'll have to make another trip to Canberra instead!

Ewen said...

Luckylegs did run out of sight on Sunday. 5:34:06 - pretty racy for a 78-year-old. She had a goof one! "Goof" is a bit of an in-joke Louise - a reminder of my occasional tendency to be a pedantic bastard. She wrote "goof" in a post once, when she meant to write "good".

Luckylegs has announced on CoolRunning her retirement from marathons (but not races). She was an excellent student :)

Thomas said...

It's a deal: You give me a 3-minute head start over Grellan in Bantry. Or, in other words, he won't be more than 3 minutes ahead of me.

You're gonna lose, buster.

Dubs said...

Beautiful picture of the sunset.

OK, dressing up and such? I hope you get pictures from the race! :)

Have a great weekend!!

Eric said...

We've gone straight from winter to summer--18C and sunny! Hopefully it will last longer than a week this year.

It was still -1C this morning though. Can't have it all...

Cheers!