Friday, January 25, 2008

One Goal

I'm an abject failure when it comes to multi-tasking. This malady is said to be typical of males. I'm unable to chat on the phone, eat breakfast, use a laptop, shuffle the iPod, and apply make-up, whilst driving the Corolla. For 2008 I've chosen a single goal for my running. Having just one task may be more sympathetic to my male brain.

I came up with the One Goal plan after stumbling upon a couple of one goal websites. Alex Vero has the goal of qualifying for the Beijing Olympics. Actor Patrick Clarke wanted to be the second runner over 40 to break 4 minutes for the mile. Patrick fell short, running 4:59.19. Alex has recently been training in Ethiopia, but with a half marathon best of 73:45, is unlikely to run the minimum marathon standard of 2:14 needed for the British Olympic team.

In recent years I've been a contemptible failure at achieving goals, so I wanted one that's at least theoretically possible. My goal for 2008 is to run 3000 metres on the track in eleven minutes and seven seconds. For up-over readers, this is slightly faster than 6-minute-mile pace for 1.864 miles. I used the McMillan and Age-Equivalent calculators to come up with 11:07. Eleven-O-Seven has a nice ring to it, don't you think? For a 50-year-old who's often described using D-word adjectives (decrepit, dismal, doddering), this time is apparently equal to the 9:57 I ran as a youthful 34-year-old.

The plan is to race the rest of this track season (finishing on 13 March). Over autumn and winter I'll do two shorter periods of Hadd-training, following each with speedwork and key races. The second period of racing will commence in October on the track. For a bit of fun this year, I'm also entering Half-Fast's Shave Your 5k Challenge – just so I can look smoother than Speedygeoff.

23 comments:

Toasty said...

Great goal, I believe you can do it. I also think it counts if you McMillan an 11:07 equivalent for any distance in the year. I asked Katy for one goal and she had picked 7 of these one goals.

Anonymous said...

You may be decreptic, dismal and doddering but at least you are not dead.

The first step in the Shave Your 5k
Plan should be to have a shave.

speedygeoff said...

So in summary, your goals are to do winter running in winter, and summer running in summer, Sounds achievable, but knowing you, Good Luck!

Samurai Running said...

That's not going to be easy, but I suppose that's the point. All the best with that goal Ewen.

I've heard girls are good at multi tasking but as for my wife she can only do two things at the same time. EG. She is (1) able to burn a perfectly good fish and (2) make me feel like a bastard for not eating it ;)

Anonymous said...

i can vouch for your lack of multi-tasking. you can't talk to one person, enter an elevator, and recognise another to save your life, you decrepit and doddering doofus.

but the nice part of me says i dig rhymes almost as much as i like palindromes. 11:07. me likes. i approve. feel free to move on.

speedygeoff said...

Rise, take lame female Kate, Sir.

Superflake said...

Good Luck Ewen. Hope you pull it off.

Rachel said...

You can do it! Why 3000m? Is this a favourite distance of your?

Grellan said...

Ewen great to see to aiming for such a challenging goal. If you've done it before you'll do it again.

I know how chellenging it is as my current fitness would give me 11:26for 3k at 50.

Anonymous said...

Geez Ewen - you do tread a thin line with your humour some days! It' a good job we get you lol ;)

speedygeoff said...

We should all be thankful for the people we know who bring laughter and joy into our lives. I agree, Ewen is hilarious. But he doesn't even have to tell us his goals, all we need to do is just look at him, and much laughter follows. Which is good; it takes our minds off of our own silly goals and/or looks (take your pick).

Bruce said...

Good luck with the goal Ewen. I'm sure you'll get it easily.

Rob said...

For decrepit, dismal, doddering 50 year old, you have set yourself a worthy challenge Ewen. We willbe following your progress with great anticipation.

trailblazer777 said...

Thats some interesting calculation websites there...

So thats about 5.33 for a 1500m...
My PB is 11.11 and I'm just a young 33 year old spring chicken/young gun...

All the best in nailing the 11.07!

Dubs said...

I'm looking forward to watching you train and pull this off - From reading your blog, I know you can. You've got the time and the training plan!

My high school coach called himself an old decrepit man as he wizzed past the #1 varsity boys runner going up a mountain. It doesn't slow you down, just makes the youngin's feel like crap as you laugh while passing them. You'll do GREAT!

BTW - on multi-tasking, you can leave off the make-up part. lol

Dubs said...

Oh, and I just noticed - happy belated Australia Day!

Runner Susan said...

Eleven-O-Seven does have a ring to it. I'm going to check this McMillan thing out.

Tesso said...

What a goal!

That age-equivalent calculator is the best thing since sliced bread. Thanks for the link.

Phil said...

11:07 - What a perfect number. We get so hung up on round numbers (45 minute 10K, 4 hour Marathon, etc) which sound so very boring and are no more meaningful than your specific goal .. I wish you all the best. Sounds damn fast to me.

Vicky said...

Great to catch up Ewen - happy new year!
I'm also having a one goal year when it comes to running - but mine is extremely simple and doesn't require a calculator of any kind - just to enjoy my running. I figure I have enough going on this year, without pushing the running front.
As for your goal - sounds great! Go get it!
Oh and as for the comment about "Mums trifle" - it really doesn't get better than that from where I sit!

Cheers, MAR.

Anonymous said...

www.adriansport.xixao.com

Stu Mac said...

Great goal Ewen, I think 1 goal sounds great (I'm yet to pick one for 2008)..

The AV season is similar to yours, we are now into CLub Finals, but we still have some All Comer meets and State Relay & T&F Champs in March, so lots more racing for those who are not injured.

Anonymous said...

One goal, not a bad idea and that 11:07 has a certain ring to it.

What's this multi-something or other.....