Friday, December 07, 2007

Almost as good as it gets

Un-bloody-believable! How did I do that? On Tuesday afternoon I raced in the Cross Country Club's 5k event at Stromlo Forest Park. 20:54! I'm still somewhat stunned. Unfortunately the course is a little short (about 80 metres); but it's not exactly flat, and it's grass – lovely manicured grass. I ran barefoot. What I'm excited about is how good I felt. I was racing people I usually only see on the starting line, and ran the second lap 5 seconds faster than the first. I finished ahead of my long-time rival Jim W (we were both equally surprised) – the first time this has happened since 2004. We had a short conversation as I overtook him on the second lap: "What are you doing here?", he said. "I don't know!"

Some months ago when I first said I was going to experiment with Hadd-training, Steve enthused that I'd had an epiphany. Well, not exactly. I just wanted to try something different. My race on Tuesday however, was something close to epiphanic. To run that fast, and not feel under stress at any time, was almost surreal. Thankyou John Hadd. I'm now keen to continue with the experiment.

Last night I raced in the postponed track 10,000 metres. In contrast to Tuesday's 5k, this was hard work, and I have to admit, 44:54.57 was a little disappointing. A positive split this time, with 5000s of 22:08 and 22:47. Fastest kilometre was the second (4:17) and slowest, an Allrounder-like 9th (4:39). I'll put it down to the race being preceded by a 10-hour working day. As Forrest Gump once said, "It happens. Sometimes". Bring on the second half of the track season so I can show friends like Anonymous that I haven't had it!

Susan, Deek and me by JHSome say this is my best side (yellow singlet). In the first race at Stromlo on 18 November I was much slower, 22:25. Here I'm about to be overtaken by jogging Olympians Susan Hobson, Rob de Castella and friends.

24 comments:

Steve's Stuff said...

Well done. Reading your post raised my motivation a little.

TA and the Gnome said...

Nup Ewen. That isn't nearly as good as it gets. Just you wait and see... :-) I'm looking forward to seeing what the remainder of the season brings.

Gnome

Gronk said...

Great stuff Ewan !

Superflake said...

Great stuff Ewen. Fantastic. That Hadd training is good stuff. Maybe you are being coached in reverse by giving Lucky Legs and myself speed tips? Now for that 10k!

Runner Susan said...

Well done Ewen, that is darn fast!

Thomas said...

Congratulations! Any more guys questioning Hadd training now?

Sarah said...

Congratulations, that's awesome!!!! I hope it stays this good.

Stephen Lacey said...

That's great Ewen. Good on you mate for that speedy 5k. I think it would be fair to say that you were not adequately tapered and rested for the 10k. Next one will be better.

Lulu said...

How exciting to prove to yourself in this way that the Hadd training is working. Congratulations!

speedygeoff said...

Well done Ewen. Your slow ninth km explains why I nearly lapped you.

On the subject of being about to be lapped, nice photo.

You are hereby authorised to use capital letters if you decide to respond to this comment.

Grellan said...

Well doen Ewen - barefoot amd all - way to go!. It's great to be places you (or others) don't expect to be.

Anonymous said...

first of all, i didn't think anyone ran barefooted in perfectly manicured grass except for women in deodorant or fem hygiene ads.

and then... how could you be overtaken by a guy with a wedgie? huh?!?
(i can't let all your comments be congratulatory. someone has to take responsibility to harass you.)

Bennyr said...

Good Stuff Ewen.

It's great when you try a new approach that works.

Cheers,
Ben

Unknown said...

I'd love to run (out of sight) on that track one night or day.

Louise said...

All those Hadd jokes right back at you! Well done.

Tesso said...

Fantastic stuff Ewen. What a great improvement on your 5k time. Love to see the hard work paying off :-)

So did you feel like you could have kept even further at that pace? I've been doing lots more distance and kinda feel that way at the end of a short race, not that I could have gone faster but that I could have gone further.

Phil said...

Any sub-21 is great in my book ... plus I'd be kissing the ground to run a sub 45 10K a few days later.

Congrats.

Unknown said...

We used go to Centennial Park for a 'phiphanic'!

Ali said...

Well done, congrats on a great race and result

Stu Mac said...

Well done Ewen! And thanks for the reminder about the achilles & steep hills.

Eagle said...

Congratulations. Take the 5k and as you say thank Haddad and the 10k just move to the next one and smash that.

Bruce said...

Wow, thats fast Ewen, well done and keep up the experiment if thats the result you get. Hope you like a kiwi for a footy coach!

Rob said...

Good on you Ewen. that is a terrific 5K time. You have worked hard for it.

Samurai Running said...

Nice one Zola!

Really good to hear that Ewen. That is certainly hoofing it.

Maybe running on grass triggered the thoroughbred in you.