Sunday, November 11, 2007

Hoping for a good 10,000

In Canberra there aren't many opportunities to race 10k on the track. This season there's a race on November 22, and another on January 10. Ever since I started running I've wanted to run a good 10,000 metres. People always ask "What do you do for 10k?" Secretly, I was more desperate to run a good 3,000 metres. Sub-10 minutes was the goal, and it happened after many attempts. Practise makes perfect.

My first 10,000 was at the old Bruce Stadium track on 17 November 1984. I had a goal of 38 minutes. I was a little behind schedule at 5000 (19:07), and during the second half of the race, my lap-scorer became confused. Was it because I was being lapped umpteen times, or because she was mesmerised by my impeccable form? She gave me 'the bell' after 25 laps, so I ended up running an all-time PB of 39:54 for 10,400 metres.

So here we are, 23 years later, hoping for good 10,000 at the newly resurfaced AIS warm-up track. I haven't been travelling that well in training since the Melbourne Half. I've run 83k per week, but managed to catch a cold that's had the persistence of a swarm of bush flies. Only now am I feeling somewhat healthy. This recent fragility is why I haven't been racing 3000 and 5000 metres on the track. I'll have one more week of training followed by a 3-day taper.

Defining 'good' is best left to the experts. My old mate McMillan says that 45:18 for 10k is equivalent to my Melbourne half marathon time. Fair enough Greg, but I want to run quicker than the 44:53 I managed in January 2005. If it doesn't happen in 11 days' time I'll have another crack in January 2008.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

If 23 years training is good, but not quite enough, perhaps 46 years will do it?

If 3 days taper is good, perhaps 3 years taper is better?

Perhaps I can lap score: I have been known to count to 25 successfully in the past.

Perhaps all that counts is that you have a good time?

Hamburglar said...

Only a 3 day taper? With all this training in the past months, I'm sure your body would appreciate a bit longer rest than that? But I am of the "long" taper school of thought as it seems to work for me.

23 secs - hope you prove mcmillian wrong!

plu said...

Well you will just have to do both those 10 000m races. Enjoy them.

BTW booked the flights to Gold Coast for next year's marathon or whatever..

Plu

Unknown said...

I would have thought you'd have a lap-scorer who knew her maths better than that!

Rob said...

After all the training you've Hadd, you should do well Ewen. 10K on a track may be a bit mind numbing, so the mental challenge may be as important as the physical.

Stephen Lacey said...

Go hard, hold on! Hadd will be on your back whipping you around lap after lap and you will come home strong!

Have you thought to any speedwork?

Anonymous said...

You show that McMillan what for!

Sounds like a great venue for a run, hope you lap counter is paying attention this time.

strewth said...

I'm glad you're finally rid of that cold! You have a good chance of doing well on the track now and like you said, if not in 3 weeks there's always January! You'll do it! And you'll have a cheer squad for sure!

Anonymous said...

but you're still mesmerising.

Runner Susan said...

i think you should do both races, and take a week off before each, and drink margaritas every night, and forget all about punctuation . . . that will make you run really fast.

Tesso said...

I think Runner Susan is on to it, margaritas are full of vitamin C. Just don't let your lap scorer near them.

Superflake said...

I reckon your faster than what Mcmillan says. Hadd will see you through he knows what he is doing. Good luck.

Samurai Running said...

Hey Ewen,

Look on the bright side with your old lap scorer. It's not so bad, you know, having someone over estimate when dealing with numbers.

I had an old girlfriend who said I was at most "3 inches". Unlike your scorer mine was a wild under estimater ;)

trailblazer777 said...

As Jimeon says (in typically stubborn,competitive, steely Irish determination),-something Australia was built on, when confronted by an amber/orange light while driving on the road;

"ave a go mate, ave a go mate!"

Its like a big challenge to see how much intestinal fortitude u have...
Focusing on 400 and 2k splits (5x400), always worked for me when I was improving our state u/18/u/20 10km walk record to 48.28 back in the 90's.....

jen said...

Good luck on the upcoming race! I have never ran a race on a track before, it sounds challenging- I think I need changing scenery but maybe I would be more focused on a track. Good luck to you, I think you'll surpass your goal! :)

Grellan said...

Best of luck in the 10k Ewen. You'll have to put Greg to the back of your mind for this one and concentrate on the goal.

Phil said...

There is something especially sweat about running a sub 45 10K. I've done it exactly twice on back to back weekends and haven't come close since. Consequently, I remember nearly every mile.

Best of luck to you.

speedygeoff said...

I thought I had switched on the "email follow-up comments" option for this post, but it appears I have to use my real identity to do so. Look at all the comments I didn't know about! No more Mr Happy!!!!

Sweat dreams!

CJ said...

So is the January 10,000m the one I am supposed to defend my 'title'? Just curious...... Hope you're feeling better.

There is coffee with the crew at Valentinos this Sunday afternoon if you're interested!

Anonymous said...

Sorry Ewen, I haven't visited for a while, been somewhat engaged. Anyway, somehow I think you'll do well with the 10,000. Cold and Flu is always a bummer.

Bruce said...

All the best for the 10k. Lets hope they can count this time. If i'm still running in 23 years and can contemplate a 45 min 10k I'll be a happy man. I just had a though, its almost that long since the AB's won a world cup!

Stu Mac said...

All the best for the 10000m race!!

Rachel said...

Love the first 10k story. I'd be mortified having to run an extra 400m! Good luck with this one :)

Sling Runner said...

I predict you'll finish sub-45 easily

R2B said...

McMillan predicts for the average man,but Ewen you are far from average.
Go out there and give 'em hell!

I would think a longer taper would be appropiate so you knew that you could give it all it was worth though.

I will be on the look out for your best success.

Adrian

Spark Driver said...

Good luck with your 10km goals.
If enthusiam counts for anything I'm sure you will smash it.