Sunday, September 30, 2007

I Hadd to confess

Lane 6 at the Calwell 400m grass track
I've just finished another week of lots of running. 103 kilometres. Sometimes I wonder if I'm about to slip off the knife-edge like Steve L. I think I'm surviving Hadd-training by sitting on a blunt knife-edge – doing more lower aerobic runs and trying for earlier nights. Last Sunday I ran in the Sunday Telegraph 9k Bridge Run, along with 8,500 others. It was a fun day. On the same delightful Sydney morning, LLs ran a surprisingly good half marathon – 2:29:10, not bad for a girl of three score and sweet eighteen! I bet John Hadd would be impressed. Next Sunday will be my second half marathon for the year, The Asics Melbourne Half.

One notorious part of Hadd-training is the 2,400 metre lactate test session. It's supposed to be run "periodically, bearing in mind the 6 week period needed for mitochondrial growth". John Hadd's pupil Joe ran it every four to five weeks. Last Tuesday down at Calwell, I bowed down and said: "Forgive me John, for I have sinned. It's been eight weeks since my last Hadd test". With trepidation, I started in my familiar lane six and ran the test – five repeats of 2,400 metres at set heart-rates. I dreaded the final two runs at heart-rates 144 and 152. Thankfully, only the final one was really hard, as I had to run with unfamiliar speed to push my heart-rate up to 152 (92% of maximum).

Hadd Test graphThe result was good! I was faster at all heart-rates, including the ones I hadn't trained at, just like John Hadd said I'd be. I found an online graphing website to produce a graph comparing the two tests I've done since starting Hadd-training. Earlier in the year I was racing 5000 metres at an average HR of 157 to 159, so I'm keen to see what time I can run now, even before starting speedwork.

I hope everyone has a great week!


HR (%)120 (72%)128 (77%)136 (82%)144 (87%)152 (91%)
Time:
31 July 07
15:21
6:23/km
13:55
5:47/km
13:03
5:25/km
12:15
5:05/km
11:45
4:53/km
Time:
25 Sept 07
14:01
5:49/km
13:05
5:26/km
12:02
5:00/km
11:33
4:48/km
10:59
4:34/km

18 comments:

2P said...

Glad it is working for you mate.

Tesso said...

Wow, huge improvement! Well done. It'll be interesting to see how you go next weekend.

Stephen Lacey said...

Ewen, that's great to see that improvement. I'm sorry, I have been drinking tonight and can't make a more intelligent comment, but it is good to see a post from you after a bit of a hiatus (hint, hint).

p.s. I had a pretty good little run today, hopefully will be sober enough to blog about it tomorrow, but the data are on my RunningAHEAD log.

Oyasumi.

Superflake said...

Excellent improvement in times Ewen. Must be the new HADD program is working well for you. Thanks for the hints on the short track training. Must owe you a coffee/beer for them.

Anonymous said...

You are good. I haven't done the 2400m test session (yet?). Too scared, I think. Anyway, congrats on the improvements!

strewth said...

Wow - that's a huge difference. Obviously all this long long slow running works for you. Fantastic and like Tesso, I'm looking forward to hearing how you go in Melbourne. Hope you have the perfect run. (Don't eat tiramisu the night before)!

Robert Song said...

I never doubted you would improve. It is always great to get that postive feedback.

Another couple of months of this and you can get back into the speed stuff.

I can feel a big 5k coming next year.

See you in Melbourne on the week end.

Anonymous said...

As others have said - a great improvement, but really consistent too from looking at your graph. I think I might need to get me some of this training!

IHateToast said...

i think the trick about sitting on a knife's edge is not shimmying.

i think that's why you improved. you don't shimmy. it's a wasted muscle movement.

Rob said...

I am so impressed Ewen. The improvement is terrific. You must be very pleased.

All the best for the Half.

Stu Mac said...

Great stuff Ewen! Great to hear that the Hadd system is working for you, you are WAY more patient than me! But like all good programs, consistancy is the KEY and you have made sure of your consistency, well done!!!

TA and the Gnome said...

Stop it stop it stop it! I hate seeing real results. They force me to review my methods, and I'm too lazy to do that! :-) :-)

Gnome

PortRunr said...

Interesting results Ewen - very impressive improvements.
You're really getting around the place at the moment with all the inter/intra-state races.
103km?! I'm struggling to do that in a month at the moment! ;)

Anonymous said...

Ewen, I'm sure I can see you down there in the satelite photo running in Lane 6 right now.
Haven't you just about worn that lane out now?
I'd try lane 4. I think it's faster!
See you this afthernoon!
Kathy.

Bruce said...

Well done on that test & good luck for the half this week (or is it next?).

All the best to the Wallabies tonight and bring on next week!

Grellan said...

Excellent HADD test results Ewen. The graph says it all - consistent improvement across all effort levels. This is really great base training. I'll certainly be returning to HADD after my Marathon.

Best of luck in the half next weekend.

Phil said...

Great improvement Ewen. I think you long slow runs are really paying off. There may be hope for the rest of us, if we could only show the same discipline.

Hadd said...

Nice improvements there, Ewen. You keep up the good work!