Sunday, November 12, 2006

How did I do that?

The running has been going well since I last blogged. No mooing at all from the calf, which has been a great boost for the confidence. I've managed two Saturday long runs with Steve's very sociable 6' group – 18.2 and 18.7k. In the first, I used the 2P 'distance extender' to good effect. In the second, I struggled on Mt Majura and Trent's Hill, but didn't mind as it was simply the most perfect morning for running.

On Thursday I did another 'Slow Race Test' for a slightly better result than the previous week – 16:51 for 3000m. I received an SMS from an excited Luckylegs yesterday morning after her good 1500 metre time trial. This news, and watching competition at ACT Interclub on Saturday afternoon, has inspired me to soon resume track racing.

I looked through my training diary from 1987. This was the year I ran regular track races on Thursday evenings at Hensley Athletic Field. I started on March 19 with a 3000m in 10:27. Thereafter, I had a goal of running under 10 minutes. The 3000s were held approximately every second week and my times progressed like this: 10:18, 10:16, 10:09, 10:15 and 9:56.5 on 11 June (which remains my 3k PB).

Training diaries from two decades ago can be quite sobering. I look at the sessions and wonder how I did them. I have the same wonder at times when watching the athletes who train at Calwell - especially the very young and 'slightly older' ones. The week of my 3000m PB went like this:
Sunday - 14k, first 10k a race in 37:12. Monday - 4x90m ave 13.7 + 2x200m ave 27.9. Tuesday - 15k at Lane Cove Park including 9.7 to top gate and back in 42:09. Wednesday - 7k easy jog through Chatswood west. Thursday - 3000m race in 9:56.5 (3:17, 3:23, 3:16.5). Friday - Lane Cove Park 9.7k easy in 43:45. Saturday - 5k including 5x300m Chatswood grass track, average 50.8.

These days I don't even contemplate training like that. It does however, reinforce the need for some 'speedwork' as well as some 'good' aerobic running if I'm ever to get near my current goal of running under 12:00 for 3000 metres.

22 comments:

Ellie80 said...

hey ewen - interesting reading about your training diaries from '87!! looked like a big week!!

Tesso said...

Wow, awesome times there Ewen! What was your best 1k time?

I'm sure you'll get that sub 12 again. Its my goal too, though I've only done it two or three times (last year).

Maybe with your helpful tips I can get there :-)

Rob said...

Ah! So it is you Ewen...who has started the mad rush to the track. You obviously are a Trackie at heart. And then with LL's outstanding performances....hmmm, I will have to give this some consideration.

TA and the Gnome said...

See, there's an advantage to not starting to run until you're old - you don't have that history to frustrate you! :-)

Gnome

Toasty said...

What wonderful times you ran back then ..... but when you do sub 12 will it be any less of an achievement? ....

Unknown said...

I like what ta & the gnome said! It's much wiser to delay starting to run until you're "old". Everything comes as a surprise after that, but you will need a very good coach with heaps of patience!

Vicky said...

Good to hear you seem to have the calf sorted Ewen. Its heartwarming for me to see so many of your best results have occurred at around my current age!

Oh and thanks for the spell check dude!

MAR.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could go back 20 years and check my times but over the years the notebooks got chucked.

2P said...

Hehe mate - the older we get the better we were - I have a 5k PB of 18.03, a 10k of 40.01 and 100m of 11.2 but I don't reckon I will be going anywhere near those any time soon ;-)

Superflake said...

Thats a heavy training week back then. Thanks for all your tips recently. Appreciate it.

Spark Driver said...

I think it is a good effort to keep your running logs 20 years on.

Samurai Running said...

Hi Ewen

Yes, it is strange looking back at past achievements.Just a few months ago I came across some old university exams that I had done. It shocked me to realize that I could not pass them today.

I thought I was getting smarter! Oh well, the beauty of running, as you well know, is that we are only as good as our next run vis a vis our last, most recent, run. And it's all relative.

Nevertheless your past times are great.

TD said...

Those are fantastic times from yester year Ewen, but considering the passage of time and other changes that I am sure you would have had to deal with in your life I think you are running very nicely, give or take an injury or two.

I have still got my old training logs, too, and have a 37.30 10k pb sitting there like a ghost in my books. Like you, I can't believe I ran that fast once, but I don't think the figures lie!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those times are so impressive! And to think you actually ran as my relay partner tonight - I'm honoured!!

Stu Mac said...

Nice PB Ewen, I'm sure once you get back into the training and start building now that the calf is in check the goal of sub 12 will come with ease.

R2B said...

Fingers Crossed for you Ewen!
You deserve the best.

R2B

Phil said...

Ewen ... thanks for dropping by my blog. I appreciate your comments. You got very impressive numbers from the past. Good luck with your training.

speedygeoff said...

You haven't forgotten your sub 12 goal then? Good for you. First, though, you will have to run faster than your training relay partners..

Someone you coach out-kicked me by 4 seconds in a 5k on Friday.

Shane said...

Some great times you have there Ewen, and like the others said you have done well keeping your traiing log for all those years.

I love the track and wish I could find a decent club to get back into my athletics. I was more a 100m and 200m runner and only did the longer stuff for fun more than competition.

As you know speedwork is important part of training and im sure once you get back into it you will really notice your times improving and getting that sub 12 once again.

Anne said...

Hey Ewen - glad to hear that your body is behaving. The weather is uncharacteristically warm for this time of year - about 12 degrees C - still no sign of snow ... I'm not complaining! It's the day after Thanksgiving - I've stayed inside to avoid the mad shopping crowd but am just about to go out for a walk with the dogs (3.30). I'm cooking the work turkey (all 15 lbs worth) today - it took about 3 days to defrost! Should keep me fed for the next couple of weeks.

Bye for now,
Anne

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
D said...

Wow - you still have your diaries from 87 and you were FAST.