Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A base 5k race

On Saturday afternoon I ran in the ponderously named Canberra Half Marathon Eve 5k. The weather was close to perfect. Sun shining out of a clear blue sky, barely a zephyr disturbing the surface of the lake and a temperature in the high teens.

During my warm-up I didn't feel that great but was determined to race hard from the start and just see what happened. I was hoping to run under 22 minutes.

I positioned myself next to my rival Jim, about 4 rows back in the field of 169 runners. I was swamped at the start as Brian from The Runners Shop, Kerry and many others zoomed past. Jim had done his usual wheel-spinning start. It was amazing that he ran 21:34 and broke 1:37 in the half marathon the next day!

The first kilometre took 4:16 but soon after this I must have slowed, even though I felt I was keeping the pace going. I was having a hard time keeping up with a couple of young kids from our club. Not long after running under the bridge Eliza went past and for the rest of the race I tried not to let her get too far ahead.

As each kilometre mark came up I'd click the Casio for a split, look down and think: 'Is that all!' I lifted the pace in the last kilometre to close the gap to Eliza and finally finished with a time of 22:30 for 46th place. A bit disappointing but not a disaster. My splits had been 4:16, 4:30, 4:37, 4:40, and 4:27.

So that's where I'm at. Eight seconds slower than the first 5k of my Canberra Times 10k race last September! My goal of 19:59 for 5k is not looking easy.

9 comments:

Robert Song said...

I wouldn't be to discouraged by that run at this stage. It took me a lot longer than I thought to get over my recent cold and you sound like you had it much worse than me.

You've only just started your program. With lots of solid and consistent training over the next few months that time is going to come down close to your goal for sure.

Stu Mac said...

Ewen, I totally agree with Robert, the start of your program and now you have your starting position, so relax, build your endurance & your speed and let it start to happen.

Stu

Wobbly man said...

Some days are diamonds huh? We all have bad ones - just put it down to something or other and let it go. It's all up from here right?

Unknown said...

Since you've only just started your new program, you can't expect to reach "the top" yet. It'll be very satisfying to see those seconds get whittled away over the weeks ahead....a challenge!

I think your coach will be very impressed with those splits! If 19:59 was easy to reach, you wouldn't be wanting to do it!

Hilda said...

You said that from the begining you didn't feel so great... just not the right day as you commented once to CJ.

Nice you are always keep trying to reach more and more goals!!

Tesso said...

Of course 19:59 won't be easy, but that doesn't mean you won't get there!

Rachel said...

It'll make for a nice challenging goal. All the more satisfaction when you reach it :)

R2B said...

If goals were easy to meet than how much would they satisfy you?

I know when you feel in a little bit of a rut its hard to imagine improving but remember this mantra...

This too shall pass...

Cheers R2B

2P said...

You were only 31 seconds off your interim goal of going sub 22 - that's just 6 seconds per km - you will knock that off in no time and then onwards and upwards to glory!