Saturday, February 11, 2006

Two fast ladies

This week I ran with two different women. Yes, I run around. On Wednesday I had the pleasure of introducing Luckylegs to the track at the AIS. She was very keen to try out the facilities and have a run before attempting a race on the track.

It was a perfect Canberra motorcycling day which meant it was probably a tad warm for running. LL's better half, Jim, was there to supervise and make sure we didn't run or ride out of sight. The running part of the session was to be one mile.

Before starting, I timed LL over a number of 50 metre runs so she could get a feel for the right pace. The goal mile time was to be 9 minutes which meant running these 50s in 16.77 seconds. In the first of these LL must have been out to impress Patrick Johnson and Nova Batman who were both casting an eye in our direction as she ran a blistering 13 seconds for the 50 metres.

After a while she had the pace right so we walked around to the curved line with 'MILE' written next to it. The next 4 laps of the track were very interesting. For the first two laps it was all going quite well - only 3 seconds behind schedule after one lap and about 5 seconds after two. Then, during the third lap LL's pace slowed dramatically. Thankfully she switched to 'reserve' and spluttered back to life. The rest of LL's mile was difficult but she made it to the finish in 9:30.2.

In retrospect, the goal time of 9 minutes was too quick considering her present training is aimed at completing the Canberra 50km Ultra at a much slower pace.

On Thursday I ran with another fast lady during her warm-down after a track session. We chatted about her 3000 metre track race on Tuesday. Kathy lamented not being able to break 10:40 after being 'with' Andrea (10:36) and Ruth (10:37) in the back straight with less than 300 metres to run. Kathy ran 10:45 which is still a very respectable time for a lady somewhat older than 45.

Kathy put her slow finish (42 second last 200m) down to not practising enough fast 200s in training. Most of her interval training this summer has been at 19 to 21 seconds per 100 metre pace. Her legs are very used to running this pace but they objected when asked to run faster at the end of the race.

It was a learning experience for me to hear from two fast ladies with a similar problem.

9 comments:

Tesso said...

Gee Ewen, the company you keep ... I'm impressed!

Ellie80 said...

Hi Ewen, thanks for visiting my blog! I will definitely keep my eye on yours. It is much more exciting than mine!
E

strewth said...

Hi Ewen
Glad you missed me in the warm down! I felt I needed a rest tonight hoping to run better tomorrow! I'll run my "easy" 12km on Friday instead - I'm sure tonight wasn't at all easy!! Sounds like LL is right on track with all the great training you're giving her. Was the time you wrote your last entry really 2.27am???

CJ said...

Hanging out with fast women - what next Ewen?!

Unknown said...

Fading after 2 laps in the 3000m walk? That's just copying my style in the mile!

Rob said...

Ewen you certainly mix with Running Royalty. LL being the Queen of course.
I write this after reading LL's report of the actual race. I am overawed by her achievements and never cease to be amazed.
You are a Coach Extraordinaire.

R2B said...

Thanks for your support and encouragement Ewen.Its good to hear after a disapointing race.Pass on my well wishes to the legendary LL in her latest quest.
Cheers R2B

R2B said...

Thanks for your support and encouragement Ewen.Its good to hear after a disapointing race.Pass on my well wishes to the legendary LL in her latest quest.
Cheers R2B

Aki said...

Hey Ewen, I think running a marathon in training sounds like a great idea, I might do it on April the 8th, then cheer everyone else on as they dive off Kings Bridge into the lake on the 9th. :)