Sunday, December 11, 2005

An argument yet to be resolved

Did 2005 really happen? I can see the end of the year approaching and it looks like my running is finishing on a bit of a flat note. But, were there any notes run in key? When I look back through my 2005 diary there are zero races that stand up and say: "Look at me!"

My one track race in the period from January to April was a rather inglorious 10,000m in which I kept the officials waiting by finishing last, two laps behind the poor sod who finished second-last. In the current track & field season I've run just two 3000s, both well outside 12 minutes. Do I really want the highlight of my racing year to be a 3000m race-walk in 16:33?

I guess if I was being coached my coach would have had me doing a good build-up during the winter and now be well into the track racing season. Then, perhaps, a short mini build-up over the three weeks covering Christmas/New Year then more racing on the track through to March.

Instead, I find myself doing this rather serious plan of long runs in preparation for the 2006 Six Foot Track Marathon. "Why am I doing this!" I keep asking myself. I mean, I like doing long runs in the bush. Anything up to 24 kilometres is quite challenging and enjoyable. But, doing the 3-hour-plus, massively hilly long runs required for Six Foot is not exactly compatible with fresh enjoyable racing on the track.

I keep having this silly argument with myself... "You love racing on the track - why not cut back on these foolish disruptive long mountainous runs?" To which I reply: "Yes, but Six Foot is the epitome of running in the Aussie Bush. Don't you want to do a half decent one?"

One day soon I hope, the argument will be resolved.

5 comments:

speedygeoff said...

You could always join me and run "1500s at race pace", whatever that means, on Thursdays at track. In my case it means I am trying for 5000m pace. You could try running them at hoped-for-six-foot-track-pace? There's nothing like an achievable goal. Your success rate could soar.

Aki said...

My opinion is there's no point doing something you hate. If you like running in the bush do it, but the pressure of the 6ft sounds mean. Do something you like and be happy. :) (And yes, I am that simple minded).

Stu Mac said...

Its a hard question that only you will be able to decide, eventually. I must admit I wouldn't want to be doing 6Ft training right now, I found it strange doing 10k training upto December, let alone the long 3 hour runs "eek".

All the best for over Christmas period, obviously long stuff will be the call for most of us over this period with no track racing for a few weeks, so you can be in limbo for a bit longer.

miners said...

Great to see you thinking seriously about 6FT - some decisions to be made, but an early-year goal like that would be ideal (and I would LOVE to do 6FT myself one day)

Thanks for your comments regarding IM - it helps to hear other people's perspectives on things - cheers :)

Ewen said...

Thanks sincerely everyone for the comments and suggestions...
Geoff, 1500s at 6ft track pace would be a very achievable goal - 13 minutes! Aki, although the 6ft is mean, I don't hate it.

I've possibly resolved the argument this way...
I do love 800m - 5000m races on the track so I'm going to do them for the rest of the season (even if some are training races).

I've also decided to do 'minimal' 6ft training (just enough to complete 6ft inside the 7-hour time limit). This way I can keep most long runs down to 2 hours with a 2:30-3:00 run every second or third week.