Thursday, November 03, 2005

12:21.06

I'm just back from the Vets track meeting. Racing is fun! Well, this particular 3000 metre race was fun. My legs were feeling 'normal' again after last Thursday's disaster. At 4.40pm I warmed up at Calwell running our 2.5k loop with Karen nice and easily at 6:18/km pace.

I arrived a little late at Bruce, 20 minutes before the 3000 was due to start. I jogged a lap then it started raining quite heavily. Everyone retreated to the Grandstand. It was decided to start the race as soon as the black cloud passed so we were on our way about ten past six.

A 'split start' was used so I started in the outside lanes. The two groups merged after 100 metres. I tried to start a little faster than last time and found myself tacking on to the Ken White/Katie/Mystery-female group. The 'mystery-female' is Charlie, so I guess her identity is longer a mystery! I passed the start (200 metres) in 46 seconds, so, a bit under 4 minutes per kilometre pace.

After 600 metres I felt our group was going a little slow so I moved ahead. From then on I focussed on the red singlet of my rival Jim White. He was about 80 metres ahead and told me later he passed 1000m in 3:43. I was gradually catching Jim and Geoff was encouraging me to chase him. He was also encouraging Katie to chase me!

Before the race I really didn't entertain the idea of beating Jim. On Tuesday day he'd run 20:43 in the Spring Series Boathouse 5k. This was much faster than I'm capable of right now. Before tonight's 3000 he said he'd try and break 12 minutes.

With about 1k to run it looked like I might catch Jim. I ran harder as this was a rare opportunity. I drew alongside with 560 metres to run and went ahead. I kept running hard as I didn't want to give Jim a sniff of catching me in a sprint finish. The same went for Katie as I knew she had a good sprint.

I put in whatever kick I had in the last 100m and crossed the line in 12:21.06 for 15th place. I was very pleased to beat Jim and also run 11 seconds faster than a fortnight ago. My 1k splits were 4:03, 4:11 and 4:07. Half an hour later I placed third in the 2000m walk in 11:12. Then it was over to the high jump. I only managed 1.25 metres and had one good and two disastrous attempts at 1.30. I jammed my elbow under the bar in one and rolled my left heel in the other! Frees are not good high jump shoes when the fan is wet and slippery.

It had been a fun night!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good pacing Ewen. I note you took my advice and finished faster. Jim probably would have beaten you if he could only pace better but at least he always gives himself every chance. Nothing like a bit of rivalry to push you all the way to the finish.

Tesso said...

Woohoo! Great race Ewen, and great write-up. Congrats on that second placing in the walk too.

Unknown said...

That's just what I expect of you Ewen! Here is your Report Card :

PREPARATION : 9/10 (for warm-up), I had to mark you down here because you "arrived a little late".

GOAL SETTING & RACE TIME PREDICTION: 8.5/10 (points lost here because you "didn't entertain the idea of beating Jim).

MOTIVATION : 9/10. You were smiling with confidence even though a black cloud & heavy rain had delayed the race.

RACE STRATEGY : 10/10. A winner here for focusing strongly on Jim's red singlet.

RACE TACTICS : 10/10. Here again you are a winner because you outsmarted your competitors & had them believing they couldn't beat you.

SUMMARY : I'm very pleased to see some substantial progress this week. This improvement should help dispel the doubts you might otherwise have had of keeping up with CB on November 26th.

allrounder said...

been meaning to thank you for the training tips on my blog...will try and put the 400m suggestions into operation next week (i wasn't really sure what pace i should try and do them at but i would like to improve my 5k time)

CJ said...

Well done Ewen - bet you were pleased with a good 3000m run.

Aki said...

lol to Luckylegs!

Good run too btw, makes up for last week for certain, couldn't imagine that pace, phew!

And to answer your question: there is no way I'm giving up on annoying Geoff, I'm only just beginning. :) Next half marathon I will bring up the tree story again, and certainly find some more things I can pick on him with!

Don't know about Aki Jumps, that high jump stuff looks scary!

Anonymous said...

Ewen, the results show that your rivals would have been catching you in the final lap. Try 400's in about 90-92sec, float 100 then sprint flat out for 100. Walk a lap or whatever recovery suits you. Repeat 3 or 4 times. This will hurt but help to maintain form and speed when lactic.

Stu Mac said...

Great stuff Ewen, you have to love track racing, fast & hard!

Well done



Stu

Ewen said...

Thanks everyone for your comments - they are much appreciated.

When I read the results in the paper I found out I'd run 12:21.06. The 12:20.09 belonged to Roger who I finished just behind. I looked up the wrong line from the photofinish printout on Thursday night. Do I need new glasses as well as a new calf?

On Monday at Geoff's I got a bad 'cramp' in my left calf. I had yesterday off. Today it seems OK so I'll try a light run this afternoon.

Wannabe, I couldn't do that session - I can barely do one 400 in 90 seconds!