Thursday, October 06, 2005

My knee's not hurting!

I was down at Calwell again this afternoon to run on the grass track. I always go there with the intention of doing something 'good'. For about a month this has been difficult because I've had a strange knee injury. I could run at a steady pace such as 5 minutes per kilometre or slower with no problems. As soon as I tried running 'fast' the back of my left knee started 'grabbing' and hurting.

Why should I worry about such a minor niggling injury? Just go and run steady kilometres. There are plenty of runners with much more serious injuries such as Louise, Miners and Geoff. I guess right now I'm not happy to just run slow. I want to race 3000 and 5000 metres on the track this Summer and to do that I need to practice running fast.

This afternoon I ran our normal 2.5km warm-up with no problems. Mike suggested that Karen try some 500 metre repeats. We ran a few 'strides' on the straight track and my knee seemed okay. The Frees were feeling good. Karen took the lead for the first 500 metre run and I followed. 2:05 and I wasn't thinking about my knee, just that this speed wasn't easy. Then followed runs of 2:01, 1:58, 1:57 and 1:54. My knee wasn't hurting!

I usually run six 500 metre repeats but stopped at five as I didn't want to push my luck. I was so happy my knee wasn't hurting. After Kathy finished her amazingly long and fast session she joined us for the 2.5k warm-down. It was a warm, breezy evening and we were all feeling happily tired and satisfied after another successful session on the lush grass at Calwell.

5 comments:

speedygeoff said...

Good-o! Now slow done so your knee doesn't start hurting again. Better still, stop altogether, or you will be beating me to the next sub 20 5k!

Ha ha only joking.

Of course you will.

Unknown said...

Your knee isn't hurting because I, CB, sent a magic knee-fix spell in your direction - never fails to work! Be careful though, I'm not sure there are 'seconds' available yet!!

Very fast repeats; I could almost keep up with you!

Anne said...

Glad to hear that you're beating your knee ... you might tell me how to post my photo on my profile ... can't quite work that out! Yes - no custard (not even burnt custard) ... I managed to track down custard powder in an Irish shop but still think it v strange that in the State where milk is the national drink (at work they give it to you for free!) and the temp drops well below freezing in winter, that custard has never arrived!

CJ said...

That is good news and lets hope it stays that way so you can race 3000m and 5000m on the track this season.

allrounder said...

you have been blog tagged...

Here are the rules:
1. Go into your archives.
2. Find your 23rd post.
3. Find the fifth sentence (or the closest one to it)
4. Post the text of your sentence in your blog along with these rules.
5. Tag five other people.

from 26/7/05:

"...can't wait to charge it up and give it a go!..."

i was, of course, talking about the arrival of my Forerunner 301...my constant companion, training or otherwise, ever since...


I have tagged Flash Duck, Gronk, Aki, Ewen & Lucky Legs...