Sunday, August 07, 2005

Running to school - first report card

I've been trying to emulate Eliud for 5 weeks now so I thought I'd 'act the teacher' and write up a report card. Here it is:

Attendance - 7/10 [planned to run to and from 'school' 4 days out of 5 but didn't quite make it]
Creativity - 9/10 [found a number of different courses ranging from 6.7 to 10.3 kilometres and varying from 20 to 100% bitumen]
Neatness - 6/10 [my running form varied from a creaky, tired shuffle to a half decent impersonation of a runner]
Attentiveness - 5/10 [found out you can run with one eye shut but that is not the best way to catch up on missed sleep]
Efficiency - 8/10 [early days but I think my race at Goorooyarroo indicated a positive effect on my fitness]
Enjoyment - 7/10 [there is a unique satisfaction to be had from running to get somewhere rather than just running to 'train', although some of my runs home were very ugly shuffles counting down the minutes to when I could collapse on the couch]

Overall - 70%.
This week I'll make some changes. The runs 'home from school' have been quite tough because they happen after running 7 or 8 kilometres in the morning followed by reasonably physical work for 8 to 9 hours. Here is my plan for this week... Monday, bike to school, Action bus home, run at Parliament House. Tuesday, run to school, run home if I feel okay or else Action bus. Wednesday, run to school, run home. Thursday, run to school, run home if I feel okay or else Action bus. Friday, run at Lane Cove in the afternoon. Saturday, not much. Sunday, City to Surf!

6 comments:

allrounder said...

you've made me think about running to or from work when cricket season starts and i will no longer have long run sundays...

certainly food for thought!

speedygeoff said...

Wouldn't you sacrifice the 'physical work' first rather than the running?

Gronk said...

Take it easy this week champ. Looking forward to cheering for you on Sunday !

Unknown said...

I thought I'd act the retired & somewhat retarded teacher, so here is my 'Report' on your 'Report', Ewen :

"Ewen has a somewhat diffident approach to his studies. He needs to adopt a more serious attitude in order to achieve his potential.

I hope he is devoting more time to reading, not necessarily the "Harry Potter" books, & less time at his computer.

His inattentiveness is due to running with one eye shut; this is Ok if you're Cyclops. He needs to keep both eyes open if he intends to run in the right direction. However, his impersonations of a 'half decent runner' are very attractive, but not in Fred Astaire's league.

All in all his progress is admirable & is consistent with the changes he intends to make this week.

Overall: He is a likeable lad, has a good working relationship with his peers & is an inspiration to all who know him!"

Ewen said...

speedygeoff, to do less 'physical work' would mean doing something else during the day... such as sitting in school like Eliud or maybe writing on the blackboard like luckylegs. Is that too cheeky katie?

CB, that report is so cool I'll print it to keep with my others from the 1960's. I think one of them said I was a likeable lad (with potential)! Not sure what happened there.

Hannah said...

Good luck in the city to surf!