Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Playing catch up

I just thought I'd mention to readers that I usually only write something for this blog once per week.

I've been writing a bit more regularly lately in order to settle my nerves. Yes, I'm worried about the marathon and/or 50k ultra on Sunday. One of the reasons is that I don't particularly like bitumen. Most marathons are about bitumen and Canberra is no different.

Another reason is that I'm planning to 'have a go'. By this I mean that I want to run the quickest possible marathon that my current form dictates. I think this is somewhere between 3:35 and 3:50. Yesterday down at Calwell I ran what was supposed to be a 'marathon pace' session (4x1000m at marathon pace with a full 3 minute recovery).

I ran these without looking at the watch, just on feel. The result was 4:48, 4:38, 4:30 and 4:31. I was wearing my clunky marathon shoes too (not the gorgeous feeling Nike Frees). The grass was lush (we hadn't mowed it for a while ;-) and there was a slight breeze. I'm very worried that I'll run out too fast come Sunday.

Chris also ran a 'marathon pace' session of 1200 repeats which, for him, was successful!

By the way, the weather this morning was perfect for motorcycling (too hot for marathon or 50k running). I did catch up with some much needed sleep after work with a 2 hour nap! Yeehah! My chest is still sore from all the push ups and chin ups we did on Monday evening. I must learn one day to ease into new things!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Good luck for Sunday!!! I'll be there cheering everyone, so make sure you wear a CR cap!!

Carolyne said...

Too fast for me, senor Wombat!

Best wishes for Sunday, and I hope that you pull up OK.

Bennyr said...

Good luck on Sunday, Ewen - have a good one!

Aki said...

Seems you have recovered strong after 6ft, I'll probably be near Sarah somewhere cheering you in. :)