Friday, April 01, 2005

Canberra Marathon Countdown

I’m starting to feel nervous. Clairie just reminded me there are only 9 sleeps to go! It’s a different kind of nervousness to what I felt prior to Six Foot. This is going to hurt.

In recent marathons I’ve been running with friends who haven’t had time-based goals. On Sunday week I’ll be running by myself. I’ve decided to aim at 3 hours 45 minutes which is 4 minutes slower than what I ran for my first marathon way back in 1981. Then it was all so easy because I had the innocence of youth and didn’t know the pain of marathons.

Speaking of youth, a runner from my club (SCT) will be making their debut in the Canberra Marathon. I’m not sure why he wants to run that far. I’ve had the pleasure of watching him develop as a runner since he joined Mike’s group as a 12-year-old. He became a fine middle distance runner winning at the Australian All-Schools in 1999. He still holds a number of SCT club records including the 1500 metres for Under-16’s at 4:10.89. On Sunday week he’ll become a marathoner at the age of 19. Chris was encouraged not to run a marathon at such a young age but he had his mind made up. He’s very ‘strong in the head’ which will help in the marathon. I hope it all goes well for him.

For myself I need to get a few things going right in the last week. I’ll be staying off the computer and getting some early nights. I’m hoping things will be quieter at work. This past week has been busy. I’ve been so tired! I can’t believe I’m saying this, but if I can run the marathon and finish without any ‘injury-type’ soreness I’m going to continue on and do the 50 kilometre ultra. Probably with a fair amount of walking but most people walk at the Six Foot so I see it as a legitimate technique.

Goodnight and see you all soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nervous? Going to hurt? Pain of marathons? Innocence of youth? Staying off the computer? Early nights? Being so tired? Continue on for the 50km with a fair amount of walking?

How can you possibly have known how Chickybabe was feeling????