Sunday, February 11, 2007

My right foot

I'm wondering if I've developed an oversensitivity to potential injuries. The bovine kind have me especially worried – calf, hide, udder and hoof to name a few.

My right hoof was feeling strange on Thursday and Friday. I had an aching feeling on top of the foot which made me walk with a limp. I didn't run, hoping it would clear up before my long run on Saturday. The pain miraculously disappeared and it was all good.

We ran from the Molonglo River, towards Campbell Park and around the base of Mount Ainslie. From the War Memorial, I ran with Ruth down to the 'dead flat' of the lake. A very pleasant run continued around the Central Basin of LBG and 'home' via the Jerrabomberra Wetlands. I said 'arrivederci' to Ruth and ran an extra 7k around Duntroon to Campbell Park and return.

So... 30.2 kilometres in a bit under 3 hours 15 minutes. This is well short of the six to seven hours I'll need to finish the Six Foot Track. Still, the fact that I finished comfortably gives me confidence for the 45km journey on March 10. It was also my 4th run of over 3 hours since 1 January.

Afterwards, I caught up with fellow CoolRunners and bloggers Strewth, CJ and Jen_runs for lunch and a coffee at Valentino's in town. Jen is running her first Six Foot in March and has been hampered by a recent hip injury. Luckily it's not bovine in nature, so I'm sure she'll do well.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think runners are more sensitive than most people to the slightest niggle in the legs and feet.

Hope you don't have any udder issues LOL

Looking forward to hearing how you fare at 6ft, I'll have to give that a go myself someday, after I complete the requisite qualifying marathon of course!

Gronk said...

Well done mate. Looks like a sound run for 6ft. Glad the bovine bits kept quiet.

Rob said...

That sounds like a good boost to your confidence for 6' Ewen. I am glad the pain went away.

When I read about the runs aroung Canberra I really feel as if I am missing something Our runs in Brisbane seem boring by comparison.

TA and the Gnome said...

A 30k run, then lunch and coffee with some attractive CRs. Sounds like ideal 6ft preparation.

I hope to still be up there to cheer, so I'll give you a special holler as you cross the line :-)

Gnome

Don Juan said...

Well done on a gambol that paid off.

2P said...

Mate it is because you run too fast that you get these niggles - slow down ;-)

Nice work with the long run mate - your sure to get a guernsey at 6ft - as long as it's not too fresian that day.

Stephen Lacey said...

I'm worried about your reference to a an udder injury. The mind boggles. Or do you mean you had one injury and then you had an udder one!! Ha ha ... I crack me up!

Well, a nice run you had today. I envy you running around all those verdant (or is it brown there at the moment?) lawns and parkland of Canberra. Probably a bit different to the ominous sounding Black Range, but I think you know what you are up against. Good luck with the rest of the prep.

Clairie said...

Ewen I sometimes get that pain on the top of my foot and I have found lacing my shoes differently really helps.

Lulu said...

Maybe the hoof needs re-shoeing?

Tesso said...

Over 30k in under 3h 15m - I thought that looks really good for six hour finish at 6ft. Its only another 15k. And maybe the odd hill and river crossing.

Hope that foot thing is just a wee niggle and nothing more.

PS I thought we milked the cow jokes for all they were worth last year.

Samurai Running said...

By "lacing your shoes differently"
Clairie doesn't mean around your calf up to your knee like a ballet dancer. But whatever turns you on.

Sorry to have niggled you further.
But I know you heffa strange sense of humor.

Mat said...

Nice work on the long run & good the pain didn't stick around.

TD said...

You've never been a cow-ard when it comes to injury, Ewen, and I am glad to see that injury has moo-ved on. (You can never get enough of farm yard humour)

Nice long run there too. And we are lucky with the surprisingly varied terrain we have on offer in Canberra for running.

Anonymous said...

I made a few changes to my blog entry just for you. Lunges and much better sound but a somewhat cleaned up version of the same song.

wt

PortRunr said...

Yep, I'm like that now...I focus right in on any little thing that I notice as unusual.
I'm looking forward to a run around that lake in a couple of months!

Spark Driver said...

The udder injury is something I have got to see. Any pics of that?

Phil said...

Just going to leave you with the same advice you gave me ... rest for a few days and take it easy.

Hope you heal up quickly

strewth said...

And now you have yet an udder 30km to notch up - looking good. Great company on Sat Ewen - I really enjoyed our latest run.

CJ said...

I know I should say something clever in Italian about mucca, vitello, zoccolo and ferita but sono troppo stanco. Buona notte!

Tesso said...

How's that right trotter of yours? Still racking up the kms I notice (in your training blog) so maybe its okay.