Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Strewth, Six Foot is almost here!

I did an udder long run on Saturday. By the way, that is Strewth's pun, so don't blame me! It was a beautiful run, helped in part by 'cool' weather and low humidity. Anything under 20C seems cool these days. A hot-air balloon floated high above the lake and the surrounding landscape was mirrored in the still water.

The first 11.5k of our run was around the green oasis of the Duntroon playing fields, then up into the inviting bush of Mount Ainslie. A mob of kangaroos joined our run for a time, bounding along the fence line. The cutest joey, just out of the pouch, watched our progress, nervously waiting for his mum to return.

The speedy runners left Strewth and myself behind, so we were surprised to catch Carol (walking with a dodgy ankle) just before the Ainslie summit trail. After filling the water bottles at the War Memorial, we ran down Anzac Parade to the lake. The rest of the run out to the Yacht Club and back was very pleasant. That is, until the Wetlands when I started spluttering for fuel. We ran this evil out and back section towards Fyshwick, thus ensuring we were close to 30 kilometres before reaching the cars. Thanks Strewth. You kept me going for those last couple of kilometres.

By the time we reached the cars, we had run 29.5km. I was buggered. For once I ignored my pedantic tendencies and stopped running at 3 hours 6 minutes and 21 seconds. Strewth however, continued on, covering 30.5k for the morning! So... one more 3 hour-plus run next Saturday and then it's taper time. Woohoo!

22 comments:

Tesso said...

Nice work on the long run. Short taper though, just two weeks.

Have you worked out your target race pace on a cow-culator yet?

Lulu said...

I wish I cud think of some good puns too :)

6 ft is nearly here and I look forward to seeing you at the finish.

Stephen Lacey said...

You certainly have a nice environment for your long runs. I think I might have said that before. I am waiting for the day when I see some kangaroos hopping around Yoyogi park. The best we get is crows (BIG crows) and a little pod of domestic rabbits that someone must have released in there.

Enjoy the taper. Don't forget the fast twitchies ;-9

PortRunr said...

Sounds like a wonderful setting for a long run (apart from the "evil" section!). I understand...I'd also have problems leaving it at 29.5km...you really must have been buggered!

strewth said...

That was a lovely run Ewen - that joey was soooo cute and I did enjoy your company! Hope you're up for something similar on Saturday! We could try for 34km!!!

Anonymous said...

It's the 29.5 km that gets me. You must have been stuffed. Sounds like a nice area to run.

Not sure what is happening at my blog. I'm trying to combat spam. All your comments came through, so I'm assuming you passed the maths test.

Phil said...

Great run Ewen. I'm in Seattle Washington for a few days and 20C is sound very nice.

Rob said...

Looking good for 6' Ewen. It sounds like you finished still feeling reasonable.

Shane said...

I will try not to sneeze when I write this ;-)
Sounds like perfect running conditions. The 6ft prepartions seems to be on track and I bet you cant wait for the taper. Although I have never tapered before as every race I run is the spare of the moment type of thing :-) im guessing it is a welcome relief afetr many weeks of the hard yards.

Horrie said...

You are building nicely for 6 Foot Ewen. Good to see that you are enjoying the long stuff.

2P said...

Nice run mate - sorry I had to stand you up through the week.

Enjoy the last lungun tomorrow.

Toasty said...

I can really imagine that run. For me, they are the best.

Running along side the roos sounds magic, I'm envious.

Samurai Running said...

I really want to get down to Canberra one day soon. Did I tell you that my great grandparents and my mother were born in Queanbeyan.

By the way, I reckon wombats are cuter than joeys.

Spark Driver said...

That is a great looking Google Earth drawing. Has me feeling very patriotic seeing our Nations capital like thet.

Vicky said...

Gosh, didn't realise it had been so long since I dropped by... sorry!

How cool to 'run with the roos'! I had 'bovines' watching me with their big, brown eyes this morning! Thankfully they were behind a fence!

Some good 30-odd-km runs going on there Ewen - not long to go now.

Makes my HM of the same weekend sound like a walk in the... forest, really!

MAR.

Mat said...

Well done on another good long run! It just sounds so picturesque around where you guys run.

Stu Mac said...

6Ft is getting close!!!

Hopefully we will get to have a run when I am in Canberra for the week, not to sure about the Vets race as the Program I am undertaking are having a dinner on the Thu evening, but hopefully... a 3/5k on a different track is also a good way of exciting the legs!!!

Don Juan said...

Best of luck with the final taper for six hoof track.

TD said...

Oh, Ewen, you painted such a great picture of that run. You and Strewth would have made a great pair, and the kangaroos were good company too.

We do have a beaut running patch and when the place looks a little greener, which it does at the moment, it can be a delight.

(We must catch up at some point, although I don't get to too many Vets events these days)

Clairie said...

Are you really going to run 30+ km next week? Isn't that the weekend before Six foot?

How long do you taper for? Do you run at all during your taper?

Best of luck Ewen and don't forget to have fun!!!

CJ said...

Just how far exactly are you running this weekend?

Wobbly man said...

I hope the taper is going well Ewen and good luck for the weekend!