Friday, February 02, 2007

The free beer 5000

There's nothing like the incentive of a friendly wager to fire up the motivation. After my City-to-Surf induced calf injury I had a bet with 2P about who'd be first to run a sub-23 minute 5k. 2P needed to shed a bag of concrete, whilst I was out of shape and scared of farm animals.

On September 29, I raced the Customs Handicap in 27:13. In October, the calf started mooing again, but it finally settled down at the end of the month. Since then, I've been trying to get fit enough to attempt the sub-23.

On January 11 I raced the first 5k of the ACT 10,000m Championships. I tried forlornly to stay with CJ. She dropped me after 2k and went on to be first female in 45:25.08 and ACT Champion for 2007! When I stopped my watch after twelve and a half laps, it showed 23:09.3. Close, but no beer.

Last night at the ACT Vet's meeting I was quietly confident. It was unusually cool (although windy) when the 5000 metres started at 8.30pm – pretty good conditions. After the start, I fell in with a group which included Amanda (from Speedygeoff's farm). I somewhat guiltily followed Amanda as she led into the wind on each lap. She did a 'CJ' not long after 2k (8:43) and left me to my own devices. I imagined 2P was not far behind, near Allrounder (who said afterwards she enjoyed running in circles).

'Running scared' worked. I passed 3000m in 13:19 and knew I'd have to hit a 'Black Range' in the last 2k to miss the sub-23. The fourth kilometre dragged (as it does in a 5000), but I managed a bit of a gallop in the last lap to see a 'free beer' finishing time of 22:32.41. I was one very happy wombat!

27 comments:

Sekhmet said...

Woo Yay! Excellent work Ewen, you must be feeling deservedly chuffed with yourself :-)

Stephen Lacey said...

Congratulations. Just keep chipping away and soon you'll be threatening that PB again! (Which is much better than my PB I should add.) The way 2P has been coming along I reckon you might have only just snuck in that victory. I suppose his arms have probably just miraculously shrunk and his pockets grown deep. Good luck extracting the beer!

speedygeoff said...

Just heard the words to "One Last Breath" by Creed. Did they write it about you? Here is how it goes.

Please come now I think I'm falling
I'm holding to all I think is safe
It seems I found the road to nowhere
And I'm trying to escape
I yelled back when I heard thunder
But I'm down to one last breath
And with it let me say
Let me say

Hold me now
I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking
That maybe six feet
Ain't so far down

I'm looking down now that it's over
Reflecting on all of my mistakes
I thought I found the road to somewhere
Somewhere in His grace
I cried out heaven save me
But I'm down to one last breath
And with it let me say
Let me say

Hold me now
I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking
That maybe six feet
Ain't so far down

Sad eyes follow me
But I still believe there's something left for me
So please come stay with me
'Cause I still believe there's something left for Ewen me
For Ewen me
For Ewen me

Hold me now
I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking...

Clairie said...

Well done Ewen, that is an excellent run and I love the post - it gives me all the background and I felt all the build up of your progressive attempts to do a good run.

Now...when is the beer being drunk?

Tesso said...

Woohoo!!! Good on ya Ewen. I can just see that 5k time coming down down down.

Hey, how does one get in on the beer action. Sub 21:30? Or maybe even sub 21:15 - I haven't managed that for about 12 months.

PortRunr said...

Congratulations Ewen...great to see your speed returning.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like the promise of free grog to get that motor running.

Nice one

2P said...

Yeah well done mate - that is a fantastic result. Good to see you back in form.

Bennyr said...

Good Stuff, Ewen. It's always satisfying to set a goal and nail it - and you really nailed that one.

Cheers,
Ben

TA and the Gnome said...

Ewan, all things come to him who waits (and works, and works, and...)

Congratulations on getting past your fear of young cattle :-)

Gnome

Robert Song said...

Good progress. I reckon you would have done it with out the "carrot" of a beer anyway.

Gronk said...

Great stuff Ewen !

Stu Mac said...

Congrats Ewen, great to see you posted a time 'way' below what you were aiming for.

I did notice that 2P left a comment and didn't mention when you are receiving the prize!!

:-)


Stu

TD said...

It was just a matter of time, Ewen, and well done. You were well inside the 23 mark and it seems to me you set that up with a fantastic first 3 k's, which took some of the pressure off for the latter part of the run. Great effort mate.

Ewen said...

Tess, I've got to make it hard for you... So, how about sub 21:15?

Not easy. Thirst is not my strong point, so I might need a softer bet with 2P ;)

strewth said...

Fantastic time Ewen - congratulations on achieving your goal!!

Shane said...

Congratulations mate, you easily got under your time and like TD said it was set up by your 3k split.

Nice to see that your training is coming together and I look forward to hearing about the Tess and Ewen showdown.

Tesso said...

Come to think of it, it would be far easier just to go and buy you a beer than try to run sub 21:15.

Don Juan said...

Congratulations on shaking the cow off your back.

Lulu said...

Glad the calves were kept well and truly roped in so you could achieve your goal. You'll have to claim your beer at the end of 6ft perhaps?

Spark Driver said...

That is an awesome effort. Well done on making your goal.

Phil said...

Great race and great time! Congratulations. How was the beer?

Vicky said...

Great stuff Ewen, I like "quietly confident" - its a good feeling to have. And you obviously deserved to be. Well run and a great post too.

Mooooooooooo, MAR.

Mat said...

Contratulations and well done Ewen! Enjoy that beer :-).

Samurai Running said...

Great stuff Ewen. You might have to take another look at the PBs you got at 45. I reckon with your current progress you might be able to give them a shake this year. If beer is what it takes I'm willing to send some down there for you in time for Xmas.

Anonymous said...

Well done....nice concept, free beer to keep you running.

I'm sure 2p's time will improve if he keeps out of the water.

Runner Susan said...

That's pretty cool Ewen, free beer is the only way to go.