Saturday, May 06, 2006

My training plan for the 5000

It's the day before the Nail Can Hill Run. I'm getting a lift with Jim and he wants me at his place at 3.45AM! It should be a fun and memorable day - that's if I can stay awake. At least I shouldn't be coughing too much as my cold has decided to go somewhere else. Thanks everyone for your good wishes!

I've finally worked out my training plan for the sub-20 5k goal. I've decided on a 14 day program. The first 7 days are for mainly aerobic training and the second 7 days for anaerobic training. After 28 days I'll have an 'easy' week then start again. Recovery days will be run at a 'low to moderate' heart rate (bloody slow) sometimes finishing with a few 'strides' or 'downhill 100s'.

Geoff has suggested running lots of 50s, 100s and 200s within a longer run maintaining good leg speed. I'll try this on Day 4 and Day 8. Wannabecoach has suggested 'fast gradual downhill 100s' which I'll do on the downhill part of the Calwell track. He's also suggested I try surging on the uphill parts of my aerobic runs.

I'll be starting the plan on Monday at 'Day 8' as I want to do a 5k race next Saturday. You can follow the plan in my training diary.

Ewen's 20-minute 5k plan

Day 1 (Monday) - 9k aerobic run 'hard' (PH?)
Day 2 - Recovery run 45 to 60 minutes with 100s after.
Day 3 - 9 to 12k aerobic run 'hard'.
Day 4 - Recovery run 45 minutes including 50 to 100s.
Day 5 - Long intervals at 10k race pace - e.g. 3 x 2000m.
Day 6 - Recovery run 45 to 60 minutes with 100s after.
Day 7 - Intervals at 800m race pace - e.g. 8 x 200m.
Day 8 - Recovery run 45 minutes including 50 to 100s (PH).
Day 9 - Intervals at 1500m race pace - e.g. 300s and 400s.
Day 10 - Recovery run 45 to 60 minutes with 100s after.
Day 11 - Intervals at 3000m race pace - e.g. 4 x 1000m.
Day 12 - REST.
Day 13 - RACE - usually 3 to 5k cross country.
Day 14 - Recovery run 45 to 60 minutes including 50 to 100s.

12 comments:

Stu Mac said...

The plan is there, a lot more shorter stuff than I would do, but everyones training is slightly different. All the best and I look forward to watching the progress.

Stu

speedygeoff said...

Returning to shorter stuff after so much long stuff is a great plan.

For example, look how Aki is suddenly improving out of sight after cutting down!

Who would have thought we would be using Aki as a role model?

(hi there Aki! See, I am aware of your fantastic recent progress!)

Unknown said...

I think my program is harder than that!!! If you need any help, you know where not to come!

To follow on from what speedygeoff said, I'm certainly enjoying the 'shorter stuff' as a change from the longer. Hope I can improve like Aki has.

Superflake said...

Good luck with the Nail Can Hill race Ewen.

strewth said...

Hope the Nail Can Hill Run is a wonderful experience for you. Best of luck tomorrow.

TD said...

Best wishes for the run, Ewen. I was speaking to Maria tonight and Jim was off to bed early. He shouldn't forget you. Look forward to reading your report.

2P said...

Good luck with it Ewen - I'm with Stu - I would still like to see an LSD in there for balance ;-)

Anonymous said...

Finally after 15 years you have taken heed of my unsolicited training tips.

If you manage to break 20 minutes for 5k by the end of the next track season I shall thereafter be known as "ISACOACH". If you fail I can be renamed "WASACOACH". Good luck.

Tesso said...

Looks like a great plan. Do you have a particular 5k race planned?

I reckon it will also help with the C2S ... so much for my hope of keeping you within my sights! Might just have to catch up with you at the pub afterwards.

CJ said...

How did the Nail can hill run go? Also hope you are feeling fully recovered from your cold - I have just come down with a cold and feeling a bit blah!

Ewen said...

Tesso, I'll be doing quite a few 5000 metre races on the track next summer and maybe the odd 5k road race over winter. With C2S, we could have one at the Edgecliffe pub along the way ;)

CJ, I thought you'd retired from blogging! Nail Can was fun, scary, wet, windy, cold and fun. I'll try and write something about it tomorrow.

Yes, Geoff, 44 minute 10k runner Aki is my role model!

Hilda said...

Good you are recover now and planning the 5000!

I enjoyed a lot your recommendation for running 400, thanks!!