Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Back to the border

My brother's head on left watching Bruce in Sydney - 2003My running is going nowhere fast. Before Easter I came down with a sore throat which turned into a bad cold. That's B.A.D. as in bad-assed dreadful. I haven't been feeling well enough to commence my new schedule of training. I said in my other blog that I was feeling "A little less sick than a dead dog lying in a ditch". These words are from 'Reason to Believe' - a Bruce Springsteen song...
Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Got his car door flung open he's standin' out on highway 31
Like if he stood there long enough that dog'd get up and run

Back in 1981 when I was young!There was no way I was going to get up and run! I had two days off work after Easter and I'm now taking things day by day. I think I'll be okay for the Nail Can Hill Run on May 7. This is a 'fun run' over a big hill in Albury, 350 kilometres from Canberra on the Victorian border. I found my finisher's certificate from the last time I did this run. It was 25 years ago! Needless to say, I don't expect to run a PB.

17 comments:

TD said...

Sorry to hear about your cold Ewen. I hope you have had, or are going to have, it checked out. It was interesting to read about the Nail Can Hill run and says something that it is still on the calendar after all these years. I hope you are back to full strength soon.

Robert Song said...

I think I'm 98% over my cold. It is frustrating having a program you want to get into but have to hold back because of sickness.

Get well soon.

Hilda said...

I stopped running for about five days, then it took me about three weeks to feel like in a real workout. Hate to be sick, at this time is funny to say it is not for pain or the sickness itself, but about not being able to RUN!

You should be almost there!

Gronk said...

Awsome ! See you down there !

Tesso said...

Maybe you should put your time from 25 years ago into an age/pace calculator and see what the equivalent is for this year. You might be able to walk it ;-)

Stu Mac said...

Gee Ewen you like to pick hard ones don't you!!! 6Ft and now Nail Can Hill.

I hope the cold goes away and you recover nicely.

Stu

Ewen said...

Tesso, Robert's calculator says 57:06 which I think would require running.

To answer speedygeoff, it's definitely a fun run. A chance to enjoy a day in the country and meet some CRs. I expect to be ambling along at 6:00 kms.

Regarding the cold... it's still hanging around but I managed an easy run this afternoon at low HR.

speedygeoff said...

Do enjoy the social activities then; have a glass of wine for me, it does wonders for colds. Have a good walk up the hill and enjoy the view too. Hope to see you at training rearing to go.

strewth said...

But DO nurse your cold. They seem to take forever to clear up completely. Impressive time on your 1981 certificate. Brandy and honey is good for colds.

2P said...

Nail Can Hill sounds like a great event - I hope you get over the cold soon.

Rachel said...

A PB 25 years later? I would have been crawling that run!

R2B said...

Thats awesome that you keep all your old certificates Ewen.

I must be like a trip down memory lane?

Cheers R2B

Sekhmet said...

Hi Ewen, thanks for the comment on my blog :) I'm sure Paul got the time wrong lol ;)

Hope you recover soon, and uh! Those hills - good luck!

I really don't fancy my chances of getting anywhere near the second train - let alone beating it, but thanks for the vote of confidence :)

R2B said...

No wetsuits allowed Ewen that would take all the fun out of a winter swimming club!

Cheers R2B

Katie said...

I hope you feel better!!!
" big hill" I bet that is an uderstatement!!!

Lulu said...

Hope you have a good run at the weekend Ewen and that your cold clears up. We should do that run one day as Mr lulu was born in Albury and his father lives down there... would be fun although it looks like it might be hard work!

Rob said...

Have a good run Ewen. I hope you get another finishers certificate.