Thursday, August 27, 2015

Professional running is not all beer and skittles

Just as I'm starting out on my professional running career, an unexpected speed-bump appears on the smooth Mondo road to success. Yes, an injury — embarrassingly self-inflicted, but now, a week after the fact, feeling like it's almost not worth writing about. However, I will.

I visited my old home town of Wagga Wagga on the 14th of August to race the 'Trail Marathon 10k' the following day. The race went better than expected — I felt strong and reasonably speedy, finishing 17th (from 71 finishers) in 48:01. For a trail race, it was a fast course (the marathon on the other hand, is tough!), perhaps only a minute slower than a fast 10k road course. I was happy with my time. The following day I rode my mountain bike in the 'Mountain Bike Marathon', getting beaten up a bit by the hills, finishing 41st in 2:35:42. It was good fun though! Beautiful trails and river-side single tracks.

I recovered well and enjoyed some good training in Wagga over the next few days. On Thursday I took my scooter (Xootr) out for some x-training. I was rolling down the footpath having a great time — until I moved to the left to give an oncoming old pedestrian elbow room. My front wheel sunk in the grass and I fell heavily (and embarrassingly) on my left side. Ouch! Only a little skin off one finger, but I'd wrenched my lower back. The following day I jogged 10k with the shortest stride ever, 6:10 per km pace, the right hamstring also feeling tight and uncomfortable. Since then I've been easing back into training — short runs of 3 to 4k and long bike rides. The injury, today, feels like it's about 90% right. I hope to resume 'normal' training this weekend, with the Blackmores Sydney Harbour Bridge 9k on September 20 my next major race. No scooter cross-training has been penciled in to the training schedule.

Very cool 'rusty crow' trophies (Wagga Wagga means place of many crows)
 
Lovely trail beside the Murrumbidgee River used for the Marathon, Half and MTB Marathon races

12 comments:

Thomas said...

I guess the injury was poetic justice for the travesty of running a 10k that called itself a marathon.

Ah well, looks like no major harm done. Enjoy the professional lifestyle!

Ewen said...

Ha ha Thomas - 10k marathons are my favourite marathons! At least I'm in no rush to get fit for a 246k ultra ;-)

Running Raggedy said...

I seem to remember you having another ‘embarrassing’ fall not that long ago Ewen. With all that practice you should at least know how to take a tumble. What a relief it wasn’t running related … phew. Might be safer for you to mount a loud horn on that scooter thingy of yours. Why should you be the one to move left? You are a ‘professional runner’ after all! Congratulations on the 10k result. I have a feeling it’s just the beginning of something very special … provided you stay upright!

Ewen said...

Mark, that's right. In fact, I'm going to run a training course: "How to gracefully fall while running, cycling or scootering, thereby impressing onlookers and avoiding embarrassment."

Anonymous said...

Well done in the 10K. I was nonetheless a little disappointed you had not done the HM. I remember your delightful account of the HM a couple of years ago. If you wanted to do only one HM per year, this would be one to consider – despite the hilly terrain. A shame about the scooter accident. Now you are a pro it will be good to do lots of cross training. I suspect scooter is more run specific than bike, but maybe too dangerous ;)

Rachel said...

I will sign up for that course. For obvious reasons.

Janene said...

Glad to see you have recovered from your scooter incident, even if pride is still a little dented. I take the approach of falling in the forest out of view. Does that mean that if you fall in the forest and no one sees you, you didn't fall? ;-)

Ewen said...

Canute, I would have liked to have run the half, but aren't really up to that distance. And the MTB race on Sunday was too tempting :)

Obviously Rachel, and you know where all the trip hazards are now ;-)

Janene, you didn't fall in the forest if you didn't need doctoring afterwards :)

Black Knight said...

Sorry for the incident but you are recovering fast and this is important.
Congrats on both the races, well done.
My son started his "career" of mountain biker in early summer ... we will see what happen....

Ewen said...

Thanks Stefano. Hopefully not too many crashes for your son! I've been lucky so far - put it down to experience and timidness. To finish first, first you've got to finish ;-)

Norma W. said...

Nine day to go to Blackmores 9km; stay clear of that scooter!

Ewen said...

I will!