Thursday, December 11, 2014

Finishing 2014 better than 2013

I'm home recovering from a suspected viral/sinus infection, so have time to write what will be my last post for the year. Looking out the window, the weather looks pretty ordinary (windy, wet and humid), so I'm not minding too much being away from exercise. Well, being a little Obsessive/Compulsive I am! But anyway...

I finished 2013 babying a nasty right calf injury after making a good recovery from the right arm DVT problem in May. This year I'm shaking off a viral infection, so some bittersweet synchronicity  in play there. In 2013 my fastest 5k (on the road) was 22:46 in April before my health problems. Most of 2014 has been spent 'getting fit' again — helped hugely I'm sure, by taking up cycling as cross-training (and for fun!) late in the year. I'm feeling in fantastic aerobic shape — just have to talk the muscles and tendons into keeping up. I need to overcome my inclination to limp (caused I'm sure by 'running through' many niggles).

The video below is from the Lifeline Majura Parkway 5k Fun Run. You can hear my mate Jim encouraging me (he'd raced the earlier 10k). It was a beautiful day — hot and sunny, unlike today. I was given the ego-boosting result of 19th place (2nd 50-59) out of 568 finishers :) My fastest 5k of the year was the 22:54 Parkrun on 4 October. Love the Parkrun! Very happy with that race, although well short of my 21:59 goal for the year. The thing is, I feel incredibly fit at the moment (ah, before this illness) — running the Stromlo 5k as a tempo run (in hot weather) on 2 December at 4:53 per km (and a low for me, 678 heart-beats per km). I'm relishing the thought of racing in 2015.

Hope anyone reading this is doing well. If not, all the best for achieving your goals in 2015. See youse all next year!

My Official Finish Video

Vineyards enjoying a lovely warm day

14 comments:

Lize Brittin said...

I hope you are over your virus thingy soon!

It's great to read about your better year in 2014.

Nice finish!

I hope 2015 is your best year yet.

Ewen said...

Thanks Lize. Hope next year is better for you too!

Thomas said...

At least I'm not the only one recuperating from a viral infection and looking out at wind/wet/humid weather!

Anonymous said...

It is great that you are at peak aerobic fitness (apart from the viral infection). It makes sense to increase the proportion of cross training as you get older and the legs start to complain about past trauma. Your fastest 5K this year was impressive; I hope that your aerobic fitness delivers an even faster time next year.

Ewen said...

You have my sympathy Thomas! Being crook is no fun at all.

Thanks Canute. Yes, I'm trying to be smart (and sensible). Finally realising that I'm not as young as I used to be ;-)

Running Raggedy said...

Always fun to read your race reports Ewen. As Bill Lawry would say “it’s all happening here, the tension, the buzz, the drama” brilliant. Thanks for all the encouragement and humour over the year. You take care. I too am looking forward to a cracking 2015.

Cecilia said...

I hope you shake that virus off soon, so that you can make the most of your aerobic fitness and get back into racing pronto! Hopefully 2015 will bring you good health and quick times*!

* It irritates me when I see this kind of language, as time itself cannot be quick, but I think an exception can be made when discussing sports that are timed. Yep, this footnote really was just me trying to tell myself it's OK to say "quick times". :)

Ewen said...

Had a good chuckle at that one Mark. If only Scott could come up with jokes of similar quality ;-)

Thanks Cecilia. Quick times are fine by me! As are fast times, slow times and fun times. Your comment reminded me to check my results. Fastest 5k Parkrun was actually earlier in the year - 2 seconds quicker. How annoying!

Raina said...

Well, it was a solid return to fitness year for you, to be sure. But I have a hard time believing the DVT was in 2013. Really? Where has time gone!

Parkrun sounds like a riot. The biking seems to be doing you a lot of good!

Ewen said...

Thanks Raina. Yeah, I had to look up my diary to make sure ;-)
One of the most gradual comebacks (sensible?) ever!

Black Knight said...

I hope you get well soon to start a great running 2015.
I am planning to run a Parkrun in Edinburgh on 28.02.2015 few hours before the rugby match Scotland-Italy. Come on Azzurri!!!!!

Ewen said...

Thanks Stefano - return wishes to you for 2015. You will love the Parkrun! But I must say "Go Scotland!" (I have Scottish ancestors).

Samurai Running said...

Happy New Year Ewen! What's on the agenda?

Ewen said...

Thanks young Scott! Geez, I need to blog about that. I guess more of the same - trying to run 'a fast' (for an old bloke) 5k. Enjoying the process and not worrying about the outcome ;)