Sunday, June 28, 2009

Running again

I've had song lyrics going around in my head this week — lines from two songs in particular: From Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi, I've been singing "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone"; and from Paul Simon's Slip Slidin' Away, "You know the nearer your destination, the more you're slip slidin' away".

I'm running again. Hallelujah! Okay, that's over the top — but I'm so happy to be running. Have I told you that I like running? Twelve weeks of averaging 112 kilometres per week have been followed by two weeks which included eight days of "nil" in the diary. I ventured out yesterday with great trepidation to huff and puff my way around the Kangaroos & Wombats course. Apart from the high heart-rate and particularly rusty form, it was all good.

Next Sunday I hope to be a starter in the Gold Coast Half Marathon. The nearer this race has come, the more my condition has been slip slidin' away. Nevertheless, I intend to thoroughly enjoy my brief few days in the blazing Queensland sun! I'll take a few Kodachromes while I'm there, and catch up with you all on the other side.

Me on the beach at Surfers Paradise, 2007On the Beach at Surfers Paradise, July '07

23 comments:

speedygeoff said...

Just stay in front of all-rounder and you will be doing well.
p.s. Say Hi to Heidi, she is running the 10k.

TokyoRacer said...

I think your goal for this race should be: Enjoy myself! And the beer afterwards....

Thomas said...

Just call the last 2 weeks a radical taper, and you're set to go.

trailblazer777 said...

enjoy GC, and well done on getting things going again...

Julie said...

Makes me think all the world's a sunny day. Oh, yeah.

Good luck!

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Enjoy the half!

Andrew said...

You better buy all the Kodachrome you can. Kodak announced last Monday they are retiring it for good. Good luck in the half!

Rob said...

Yahoo! See you Sunday Ewen.

Superflake said...

Good luck in the half Ewen. Run fast on your no run plan.

jojo said...

ooooh sun! i remember that!

strewth said...

Have a great race - above all enjoy it and send some of that sunshine our way please!

jen said...

Sounds like the time off is just what you needed. Good luck at the race!

Em said...

Oh, glad your shin is ok, probably gladder than most!

I am on my way up north too and very much looking forward to turning my face to the Queensland sun and adding to the freckle crop.

I'll keep an eye out for you.

plu said...

See you up there - I am coming up - maybe the half. Will be up Friday night.

Plu

Bruce said...

Oooww , bit of a low blow that Ewen. You know we were just warming up for the real tests coming up. Good luck on the Coast this week.

Robert Song said...

I think this will the first time we will go head to head in a race.

No doubt we will catch up sometime on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

It was a nuisance to have to take time out, but you will be starting with fresh legs and you have a very solid base. Good luck

Samurai Running said...

I heard they have "paved paradise
and put up a parking lot.
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot!"

Anyway I'm sure you'll enjoy and you get good weather for it. Cause "a good day aint got no rain."

But also remember "a bad day is when I lie in the bed and I think of things that might have been!"

Jog Blog said...

Enjoy the 1/2 marathon @ Gold Coast Ewen. Run well.

rinusrunning said...

Yes, happy to be running and running and singing!.
Goodluck on the half marathon and go for it.
And you can run a dirt race here in Holland!.
Rinus.
www.rinusrunning.punt.nl

Bill Carter said...

HI Ewen

Glad to hear the shin is behaving itself again. You have been doing such tremendous mileage that you almost had to figure that something would get sore. Happy to hear it is nothing serious.

Loved the video from your previous post. Very cool to hear your thoughts on the run and pointing out the local wildlife.

Best of luck and take care of that body.

Ali said...

guess what song is stuck in my head now?

Good luck with the half ... your legs will be rested and ready to go.

R2B said...

So how did you go??