Thursday, October 23, 2008

Tempted by the 10,000

My stratospheric goal for 2008 was to race 3000 metres in 11:07. Although there are two months left, I can't see any way I'll be running that fast by year's end. I'm going to extend the goal until the finish of the track season (March '09) and beyond. Maybe forever! Scary thought: I might be pushing my Zimmer Frame around the AIS track as a 95-year-old, still chasing a "respectable" 3000 metre time.

For a diversion from this singular goal, I've pencilled in two 10,000 metre track races for attention. The first is organised by the ACT Masters on 13 November, and the second is the ACT Championship event on 15 January. I'd like to improve my M50 PB. Doing these two races shouldn't unsettle the 3000 metre plan too much. I'm encouraged that my training partner Kathy was able to race well at distances from 800 to 10,000 metres last season — she was ranked 5th in the world for her age in the 1500m, and won the ACT 10,000m Championship earlier this year.

I'm currently on two weeks' leave from work, and indulging in my love a little by running twice daily. I last tried this in 2005, attempting to emulate Eliud Kipchoge. In the past 7 days I've covered 121 kilometres (75 miles). My hard (speedwork) sessions are suffering a little, but not too much. My faster speed was OK a month back — 10 x 200m in 38.1, so I'd like to retain (or improve) on that, as well as restore some aerobic condition with the higher mileage weeks.

I'm fashionable in my 6' shirt!I'm fashionable!
My Six Foot shirt matches this sign at the Melbourne Cricket Ground

17 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

zimmer frame ha hahahaha sounds pretty good all the best with the nov 13, and january target races! Thats the spirit, if one target starts to seem attainable, its time for a new one, until the old target can become achievable again...

trailblazer777 said...

i meant unattainable duh...oh and 121k's thats a pretty good slab of mileage! similiar to my friend nates prep for the 24hr race earlier this year...

Unknown said...

That sounds like a good plan for the 10k. That and the higher mileage might help with your 3k speed as well. It would be great to be able to train like that for two weeks. Enjoy!

Tesso said...

121k in 7 days .... call that a holiday :)

So do you have a specific 10000m time in mind?

Superflake said...

There is always the NSW 3000m titles on November 8th?

Ewen said...

Tesso, it's a holiday that makes me happy to spend the rest of my time reading a book, or nodding off like Christopher Walken.

I'd be very happy to break my recent best track time - 44:53 from 2005. A dream time would be 2004's 43:40.

Flake, the NSW titles are a bit too soon. Perhaps next year :)

Mike said...

Wow - a 5:06 1500m in the 50-54 age group. That's one fast lady!!

Runner Susan said...

Ewen, you match a whole building. That's fashion. I just get excited when I can find shirts to match my red boots. And it just so happens I found a bike helmet the same color, with little swirlies on it.

But sadly, I doubt I'll ever wear them together. Maybe if I did I could rank 5th at something, anything. Who knows.

jojo said...

10 2's in 38..nice.... now you will have to do 15 in 40 with walk back recovery-into a 'bend' headwind...yuk!

Love2Run said...

Stay healthy and all those extra miles and track sessions will bring dividends. I predict sub-44 at least!

Anonymous said...

better that than the fruit of another.

penciled in? chicken. go ahead, get out that glitter gel pen and make it pink and sparkly!

Hamburglar said...

That is some big k's for a holiday Ewen.

Will you crack 400k for the month?

Stu Mac said...

I'm sure the 10000m races will very much help those 3k races in Jan & Feb.

So when are the planned 1500m races??? Has a month been set for the race off with Jo?

Ewen said...

Stu, I'm pretty much going to be racing either an 8 or a 15 weekly during the first half of the season - either Masters or Interclub.

However, if Jo runs in the 5:20s, I'll have to keep running them (and the bloody 400!). For me the times usually come down with practise - so lots of races.

speedygeoff said...

No way do I look like "Scott's slightly older twin brother". He's much better looking than me. And hang on, the statement doesn't even make sense!!!!!
Sure bearded runners run faster. But runners wih slightly elongated profile pictures run faster still.

Samurai Running said...

The day Ewen starts to "make sense"
Speedygeoff is the day he'll come riding in with the other three men of the apocalypse.

Does that make sense?

speedygeoff said...

According to Pratchett and Gamain in Good Omens, the four horsemen of the Apocalypse are currently Death, War, Famine, and Pollution (Pestilence having retired in 1936 following the discovery of penicillin). To spell it out, the fourth horseman keeps changing, so yes there will be room for a Ewen one day. If he shows enough apocalypticity.