Sunday, July 17, 2005

Eliud runs to school

Did somebody once say 'wombats are slow'? I've finally figured out a practical use for running after doing it for 25 years. I can use it to get places! No longer will I shrug my shoulders when friends like Joy and Mal say "Why do you run? You're not getting any younger you know!" I can simply reply "So I can get to work".

Running for me has always been a leisure-time activity. I've run and trained so I can race. I love racing. I've always been aware of how much running the great African runners did as youngsters. They ran to and from school. An early running hero of mine was Henry Rono. In Seattle in 1978 he ran an astonishing 3000m Steeplechase world record of 8:05.4. In 2004 Eliud Kipchoge at age 19 won Olympic bronze for 5000m in Athens behind Hicham El Guerrouj and Kenenisa Bekele. Eliud said: "When I was in Primary School I used to run every day four times about five or six kilometres to and from school. I was always running. You know, the time is limited, so if you don’t run you don’t have enough time."

Ewen runs to work.
I've been doing this for less than two weeks. How has it been? In brief, fun and satisfying. By the shortest route I live 6.7km from work. Luckily this is about the perfect distance for an 'easy' morning run. If I want to avoid hills I can skirt them on the bikepath but this way is 8 kilometres. The 'short way' takes about 39 minutes to run which is 30 minutes longer than if I rode the GSX. This means I have to go to sleep half an hour (or more) earlier.

On the way home I can make the run longer and take in some of Tuggeranong's excellent fire trails and bush tracks. When I get home I don't have to think about making time to go out for a run. This past week I ran 97 kilometres which is a fair bit for a lazy wombat. It will be interesting to see if these extra kilometres make a difference to my running. I hope it's not just training a keen eye for good places to lie down during my races.

4 comments:

CJ said...

I have been thinking about running to work once a week -its about 18km from home to work. At least that way I'd fit in a moderately long run during the week.

Unknown said...

That last sentence is so funny & I can't stop laughing!!

Friar said...

:-)

I don't work, having retired two years ago.

That means I can't "run to work."

In my work days I graduated from Driving to work, to Catching the bus to work. Sometimes I had to run to catch the bus.

Wombat is specially brave in this minus 2 degree weather we are having.

Wonder whether Wombat's Ears and other Nose will freeze. ??

"OAO"

Robert Song said...

I have had to run home from work the last couple of days and understand where you are coming from. There is a quiet satisfaction in having a functional point to a run. I used to do this all the time 15 years ago but this is a first in recent memory.

I must say I am impressed with your weekly Ks total. I would like to get up to that level but am planning to take three or four months to do it.