Sunday, August 24, 2008

Evaluation Runs

The table below shows the results from the four evaluation runs I've completed since 17 June. I do these runs on the track at Calwell using the same method each time:
Firstly, a 2.5k warm-up followed by some strides. Then 2 laps of the track (in lane 6) to raise the heart-rate to 138 (84% of my maximum). I then run a further 5 'miles' (1,748 metres) of the track at HR138, recording the split time and average heart-rate for each 'mile'.

Something new is the 'Diff 1 and Ave' result. This is the difference in seconds between the first 'mile' and the average of the last 4 'miles'. Mystery Coach tells me the evaluation runs show how a runner is doing in either the distance or speed phases of training. A small 'Diff 1 and Ave' number is usual in the distance phase, while in the speed phase this number is larger.

After looking at the figures, I'm not sure whether I'm going well! I know my speed training is improving. I've been running 300 metre repeats — most recently 7 x 300m in 65.4 seconds with a 1 min 25 sec recovery. More about this in a future post.

I hope everyone has recovered from the Beijing Olympic Games. So many great moments! Both the marathons were incredible, as was Kenenisa Bekele, winning gold in both the 5,000 and 10,000 metres. What a runner!

 
5 x 1748 metres @ AHR 138 (8.74km)
 
17 Jun
24 Jun
8 Jul
19 Aug
 TimeAHRTimeAHRTimeAHRTimeAHR
1
8:511379:191389:191399:11138
2
8:591389:271389:261389:20138
3
9:051379:261389:251389:24138
4
9:021389:291389:361389:27139
5
9:011389:281389:371389:29138
TOTAL
44:5813847:0913847:2313846:51138
Ave last 49:01.8 9:27.5 9:31 9:25 
Diff 1 and Ave10.8 sec 8.5 sec 12 sec 14 sec 

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

wannabecoach said

Could you rewrite the 2nd paragraph in English please.

Sling Runner said...

Perhaps it was just an off day. But there were improvements from the 2nd and 3rd evaluation tests.

Mike said...

Keep the effects of the rest of your training (as well as your rest) in mind when evaluating the numbers. I find that both can affect the numbers greatly. Do you keep track of your heart rate recovery after finishing these evaluations? Just curious.

Also, nice looking chart. How do you format that to work in blogger?

Grellan said...

I'm a bit confused. The first evaluation run appears to be your best by far in terms of bang for your buck.

True evaluation for me is in my race times - nothing like an all out effort to tell you where you're at. Usuing your recent racing form i'd say you're going pretty well - then again i'm a complete ameteur.

speedygeoff said...

According to my calculations, you are the fastest ever 51 year old Theodore resident over exactly 1748 metres.

plu said...

All too much for me - well done.

Still too fast for 6foot.

Plu

Ewen said...

Mike, thanks - I guess it's the pattern of the numbers in any one test that matters? I don't keep track of recovery HR, but might start doing that.
With the chart, I use a HTML program to design the table. Then, in blogger, select the 'html' tab, and paste in the table. You have to make sure there are no line breaks (so the chart is just one continuous line of html code with no word wrapping).

Grellan, yes that first one was strangely good. Racing is the best test, but this is an alternative if I don't want to race.

Speedygeoff, just as you are the fastest 60 year old Holt resident over 1500m ;)

Plu, I need that speed to reach the top of the stairs first :)

Rob said...

Plu expressed my sentiments exactly Ewen. All too much for me.

I'll stick with my run-a-lot program.

Runner Susan said...

Ewen! This looks so complicated. You have a little graph and everything.

My plan for Thursday's track torture was to just show up and run really fast. Or as fast as I can run. Which isn't really fast compared to most people.

I really doubt anyone will ever call me the fastest 38 year old Dallas resident over exactly 1748 meters. Which is okay, because I have no clue what it means anyways.

Alrighty then, I'm gonna go paint my nails.

Tesso said...

I am more than confused, I need a panadol.

Samurai Running said...

That's all well and fine Ewen but I don't subscribe to to the old adage "numbers never lie" especially when such "numbers" are spoken in the heat of the moment by a disgrutled ex-girlfriend ;)

3 inches indeed!

Bruce said...

The Olympics was a pretty good watch. Our twins winning gold in the rowing by a whisker was a highlight as was Willis' effort in the 1500m.

Looks like thre tri nations is set up for a final in Brisie in a few weeks. Might have to have another six pack on that.

jojo said...

hey..that the times i run my 300 reps in :)

Mike said...

Thanks for the program Ewen, much appreciated!

Stu Mac said...

Yep the Og were great and I thought that Kenenisa Bekele was the runner of the meet, well Bolt was pretty good too!

Phil said...

Thanks for reminding me about evaluation runs. I remember you posted something similar a year ago and I thought I'd do the same (I laid down and took a long nap and forgot)

The Olympic Coverage on this side of the planet was actually good this time and we got a chance to see both marathons. Pretty cool for the US.

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

the medal count drove me nuts. count by # of gold. count by total #. count by per capita.
i think the best list was the one by # of medals per athlete sent (my fave, because the smaller countries win this).

why not just measure the fun. they are games.

your table means nothing to me. i'm not convinced you're not some spritely <50 y.o. passing himself off as an aged runner. you don't fool me with your tables.

speedygeoff said...

statistics are for grown-ups, give me games any day.

R2B said...

I loved stats once now i just love to run....

Congrats on 25 C2Surf Ewen!

Bill Carter said...

Hi Ewen

How are you my friend?? It seems to me you are as fast as ever and attempting to do some sort of reverse aging thing. Could it be that you are getting better as you get older?? Kind of seems that way to me and well I just need to know how you've managed to do that. Sounds like I'm just going to have to make that trip to Australia some day after all.

Best of luck with everything.

strewth said...

Eeeek - it's all too complicated - my head is buzzing! Soon you'll want to ditch me as a running partner on Weds cos you'll be needing someone faster!! Missed you at the Handicap today - it stopped raining just for us!

Two Fruits said...

Ewen, you ditched Strewth for a younger women, that's not nice. She needs all the help she can if I can out sprint her with 500 metres to go. CJ is still not well, off work again.