Thursday, May 17, 2007

A vision splendid

This coming Sunday, I'll be running the Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon in a Susanesque state of preparedness. My panic is due to falling in love. Actually, that should be 'back in love' – with racing. Falling head over heels has led me to neglect the long training runs.

I've commenced a plan to race, pretty much weekly, over the winter. There have been three recent affairs: A 6km cross country run (28:54), the Nail Can Hill Run and a 5km road race last Saturday (22:34).

Nail Can Hill was on Sunday 6 May. I like that race. It's like a mini Six Foot. It has a great vibe at the start with 1200-plus runners setting out on an 11.3k point-to-point journey. It has a hill – 2km up instead of 8.5km. It has a great fire trail through the Aussie bush. It has a thrilling and fast descent to a long finish chute, well supported by spectators. I had a goal this year of running 56 minutes, but finished in 59:17. Nevertheless, it was a great fun day, helped by perfect weather.

On Sunday I'm hoping for a similarly enjoyable experience, this time, as Clancy would say; "in the gritty of the dusty dirty city, rather than with a vision splendid of sunlit plains extended". Good luck to my CoolRunning and blogging friends who are running. See you at the start!

18 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

Good luck Ewen, I hope you do well and look forward to the race report.

I lived in Wodonga for about 2 years and regretably never ran the nail can run. I think I went into hibernation around this time of year down there. Good time though I have rode my MTB aroud the area a few times and it would be a tough run.

8:51 pm  
Anonymous beki said...

See you on Sunday Ewen - and welcome to the underdone club ;-)

8:59 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

Hope your love story has a happy ending on Sunday :-)

10:14 pm  
Blogger Stephen Lacey said...

And good luck to you too my warm and furry friend. Sounds like somebody has got their mojo back.

11:06 pm  
Blogger Superflake said...

Good luck on Sunday Ewen. Hopefully we'll catch up on the start line or after.

11:07 pm  
Blogger Simlin said...

I'll see you at the finish for that six-pack ;)

11:21 pm  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Hope to see you at the start, but if not, then at the bottom of Argyle St. Race well! :-)

Gnome

11:46 pm  
Blogger 2P said...

Break a leg Ewen - I look forward to the report.

1:01 pm  
Blogger strewth said...

You got me on the second sentence - here's hoping this "affair" is not too painful! Have a fantastic run on Sunday in Sydney. I'm looking forward to reading all about it and perhaps catching up at least on the warm-up loop on Monday! Oh and slightly underdone is usually much better than overdone!

9:19 pm  
Blogger Stu said...

All the best for this weekend, I'm sure experience will get through for a decent one!

9:50 pm  
Anonymous Em said...

Have a fantastic run, try not to stop in at Lindt for a hoc choccie until afterwards.

10:25 pm  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Looking at your Ks done in the first part of the year, you should have a good base to work from for a racing season. Go for it.

For a for seconds there I thought your hope from your 50th birthday post had come true and a marriage was on the way.

10:41 pm  
Blogger Scott said...

No Robert, Ewen might be a touched/crazy/insane trail runner but he's not stupid.

9:45 am  
Blogger Bruce said...

Have a good race mate. Thanks for the tips on the aqua jogging too. Sounds like I need to stick at it some more.

1:04 pm  
Anonymous IHateToast said...

i hope your love story plays otu with gratuitous fartlek scenes.

7:19 pm  
Blogger iliketoast said...

And the bush hath friends to meet him, and their kindly voices greet him

8:56 pm  
Blogger Spark Driver said...

Looking forward to your race report. Hope it all went well?

10:55 am  
Blogger Tesso said...

Re State of Origin - as Connie Francis would say "Who's sorry now" :-)

10:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home