Monday, December 11, 2006

In a league of their own

3 foot track training
Back in May I wrote down my training plan for the 5000 metres. I put this plan aside during my trip to America, returning with a sliding base of training and looking alarmingly like Morgan Spurlok's twin brother.

Then came the Don Juanesque calf tear in the City to Surf which kept me grazing in the back paddock until the cows came home. Finally, I'm back to regular training and starting to 'learn how to run faster'. Looking over my plan from May, I notice an omission, which was pointed out by 2P, even though Kathy considered I had 'enough endurance'.

I didn't include a regular long run in my plan (the longest was 60 minutes). I know I've benefited from long runs in the past, and reading the thoughts of Nic Bideau on middle distance training has reminded me of this. So, I've returned to doing long runs with the Molonglo group.

Last Saturday, I found myself following Steve, John, Chris, CJ and Carol up Mount Ainslie. This group is training for the Six Foot Track race in March. They are all much faster than myself. Steve has finished 9 Six Foots and hopes to once again run under four and a half hours. Steve, John and CJ edged ahead as we ran and walked (with me mainly walking) up the gnarly 'Trent's Grave' hill.

They were very kind to wait at various points until, after 13km, my 'shortcut' arrived at Majura Pines. "Thank goodness for that!" I thought. Steve, John and CJ continued on for a total of 3 hours 45 minutes. I was more than happy to take the cowardly way back to the river, missing out on two mountains and 1 hour 10 minutes of pain. 24 kilometres was more than enough for this wombat!

24 comments:

Don Juan said...

Looks like a veally good workout.

Sekhmet said...

Great stuff Ewen, glad to see you in the long run swing of things - they've got to be my favourite run of the week (but without the hills lol)

Lulu said...

Sounds lke a tough run for your return to long runs. I hope the calf stayed tamed.

2P said...

What a superb looking map.

Great effort Ewen - hmmm I wonder if there isn't a little voice in there toying with the idea of SIx Foot as well?

;-)

Hilda said...

Nice workout, for stars only :D

Great you are finally back on your training!

Anonymous said...

I would be very happy to take your short cut. Great effort.

Phil said...

Great to see that you've got the long run back in your plan.

Vicky said...

No kidding it was enough!! Sounds like a great outing tho...
Well done!

MAR.

Tesso said...

Nice comeback 'long' run. Gee, you are in good company there.

I'm sure it won't be long at all before the W word (walking, not wombat) won't be in any of your blog posts.

Stu Mac said...

Good to see you are enjoying the company of friends again for the Sunday morning run, we can never forget the benefit of the long run.

Unknown said...

That's a good link to 'the thoughts' of Nic Bideau, Ewen; very interesting articles so far.

As for your training....I think it's coming along very nicely!

Samurai Running said...

Hi Ewen

I reckon most programs could do with some long runs, but that run sounds a bit much for a first one! What about the 10% rule?

TD said...

That is a big ask for a Wombat, but great to see you doing the hard core stuff there Ewen.

I went for a run yesterday with Steve and boy is he a mountain goat and a very good one at that.

Anonymous said...

Yep, ya gotta do the long run and 24kms is a solid effort, especially on what looks like a hilly course.

We must have read the same interview with Nic!

R2B said...

Mount ainsley is a killer i have heard so good work to get that one under the belt Ewen!

R2B

Anonymous said...

Merry Xmas & Happy New Year Ewen ! :)

Tesso said...

Merry Christmas Ewen. Hope Santa's giving out lots of vouchers for sub 12min 3ks :-)

Anonymous said...

Merry xmas and happy new year.

Even with a shortcut it's still a great effort. 24 km is still a long run.

Rob said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Ewen. Thank you for all your encouragement and support throughout the year. I look forward to seeing you in Canberra in April.

Jen said...

Thank you Ewen so much for all your support & advice throughout the year - I really appreciate it!

I hope you & your family have a merry Christmas & my best wishes to you for the coming year.

PortRunr said...

Hope you have a great Christmas, and all the best for the New Year Ewen. Catch you in a few months!

2P said...

Merry Christmas Ewen

Samurai Running said...

Yes Ewen Merry Christmas. Have a good one and thanks for you continued support.Your comments mean a lot to me and others. I saw what you and Lucky Legs did together to get that TT time and I was really impressed.

CJ said...

Hope you had a lovely xmas and here's to a great 2007.

There are plenty more long runs that you are very welcome to join us on!!!! Can't guarantee they'll be enjoyable but there is the company!!!