Sunday, September 03, 2006

Tell Me Baby

I'm injured. For some crazy reason I decided to sprint at the end of the City to Surf. During this frenzy I did something to my right calf. I rested it for five days and then ran. It was still sore. After another six days off I ran on two consecutive days. The next day I could hardly walk. After another seven days off I can now walk without looking like John Cleese.

I haven't been doing long runs on Saturday mornings so I sometimes watch Rage. Last week I saw this great video clip by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I thought Dani California was pretty cool, but Tell Me Baby was both inventive and stunningly familiar. The video features singers and musicians who have come to Los Angeles to try and fulfil their dreams. They are interviewed before singing and playing with the band.

It reminded me of most of us. We're never going to score the running version of a recording contract or make a living from what we love doing. That doesn't mean we aren't dedicated or don't love it as much as the Mottrams and Johnsons of this world. We get to 'play with the band' every time we run in something like the City to Surf.

The first three lines of the chorus go: "Tell me baby, what's your story; Where you come from; And where you wanna go this time". I read blogs because I'm interested in how and why people run. Some of these bloggers train as hard as those few runners who are lucky enough to fill that rare piece of road or track at the front of races. Every one of them has a story to tell.

16 comments:

speedygeoff said...

Didn't you always walk around looking like John Cleese? You are cured!!??

Ellie80 said...

I agree Ewen - the stories and the motivation that I read about in everyone's blogs are fascinating. Perhaps we should write a book? :)

Speedy Goose said...

Hey ET, I love that song - I thought 'Dani California' was pretty cool, but 'Tell me Baby' is way cooler.

We miss you, so hurry up and get cured.

You didn't happen to tape Survivor last Thursday did you - I missed it!!!

Spark Driver said...

I don't understand?!? I only run in the hope that a recruiting agent from Nike will pick me up!!

2P said...

Yes but you still have the RIGHT to walk around looking like John Cleese!

All's well that mends well Ewen ;-)

R2B said...

Hmmm now why do we really run?
Significance
Variety
Certainty
Growth
Connection (to other runners Cr's and Bloggers?)

Whatever needs it meets become addictive.
Hope your Calve mends quickly.

R2B

Robert Song said...

Nice thoughtful post. You are right, it is very interesting seeing how and why others run.

And you may even get to know a little bit about them in other ways. (And even possibly little about yourself as well.)

And to set the record straight, I managed to avoid being arrested that day, so it is safe to be connected with me ;-)

Don Juan said...

Nice running - music analogy.

Looks like a great trip to the U.S. from the photos; I'd better go out and try some Canadian beers. Cheers

D said...

The photos you posted of your trip to America are beautiful. I am obviously living in the wrong part of the US! Thanks for your recent comments on my blog. I hope you road to recovery is quick.

TD said...

Beautiful post, Ewen - your a kindred spirit.

Sekhmet said...

I love reading about everyone else's running experiences - I find it really inspirational. Now if I were to get paid for running....hmmmmmm.....I wouldn't be very rich that's for sure lol :-)

Sekhmet said...

Oh, BTW - the skirt won't be getting an outing next Sunday!

CJ said...

My family don't call it dedication, they call it madness! But whatever, I love it and i love the fact that I can run and have some little successes along the way. Also I've got to meet some really lovely people because of my crazy pasttime so what's not to love about it!

Hope your calf is improving.

CJ said...

Very observant Ewen - however if you look now you will notice that I run the Canberra Times fun run every Sunday ;-)

RunDave said...

It's an amazing coincidence that you mention the word onomatopoeia. I had that teed up as my next word of the day. I'm not sure that supple is onomatopeic, but it certainly elicits a variety of emotions and feelings.

PortRunr said...

Excellent post (apart from the calf issue...coincidently I've just had 1 month off with a right calf injury).
One of the reasons I continue to enjoy blogging (although I'm relatively new to the scene!) is to follow the progress of others and discover more about them. The longer you follow each journey the more you learn about the person behind the training sessions and PBs.
My daughter loves it when I sing Dani California to her (no accounting for taste - I can't sing for *&#%)!