Friday, September 15, 2006

So Far Away

I started running again on Tuesday. I was probably more nervous before this run than when lining up for an 800 metre race at Interclub. Thankfully the calf was okay although the session was incredibly modest: 2.5 kilometres of alternating one minute jogs with one minute walks. I averaged 7:01 per kilometre, which is quite a respectable average pace for the Six Foot Track, but very slow for normal training. Nevertheless, I was extremely happy to be back running.

Since the City to Surf I've had a total of 26 days off. This is my biggest break since a bout of plantar fasciitis in the early 1990s which needed cross-training to overcome and led me to a brief, uninspired career as a triathlete. Good fun, but not what I love doing.

Coming back after such a break makes me appreciate the difficulties beginners go through when learning how to run. It's a slow process. I feel so far away from the runner I was in 2004. The funny thing is, back then I didn't realise that 42:20 for 10k is quite respectable.

I'll miss the Canberra Times Fun Run on Sunday because it clashes with the Blackmores Sydney Running Festival. I've decided not to start in the 9k Bridge Run. It's a shame, as running over the Sydney Harbour Bridge is such a buzz. I'm driving up to Sydney on Saturday, perhaps singing one more song about movin' along the highway. I'll be watching the events, which also include a half marathon and marathon, from somewhere near the finish. Good luck to all CoolRunners and bloggers!

18 comments:

Don Juan said...

Good to see you're back in action. It'll come back quickly enough.

[Sneak over the bridge on the family fun run.]

RunDave said...

It's so frustrating doing the small mileage when coming back from injury, especially when you've still got the fitness to run heaps further. Take it easy.

Tesso said...

This year I had 23 days off in a row, my longest break since I had a melanoma removed from my leg in 1997. You win.

Hope the transition back into training isn't too tough.

TD said...

Good to see you back running, Ewen. Getting back into running after an enforced break feels like Christmas though, doesn't?

We all hate those injuries and the long breaks but 'muscle memory' seems to kick in and I have been surprised in the past just how quickly I am back in my stride.

Spark Driver said...

Welcome back to running. I hope you enjoy the journey again.

Stu Mac said...

Good to hear that you were able to get a run in and hopefully with a gradual increase over the coming weeks.

All the best


Stu

Gronk said...

Great to see your back running Ewen. :)

2P said...

Believe me I hear you brother - going through the frustration myself at the moment.

Good to see you back though Ewen - I'll be looking to you for inspiration (no pressure) ;-)

Katie said...

Hey Ewan! Sean has definately drummed that rule into us I just got a bit caught up on the day with excitment and ran stupidly:-)
Never mind I learnt a lot and there will be lots more races!!
Take care and great to see you back running!

Rob said...

Being laid up is such a pain. Getting back the confidence in the injured area just adds to the frustration.

Toasty said...

good luck with your come back .... hope you are back to where you were soon

Anonymous said...

26 days without running, ouch..

R2B said...

Ouch that is a long time.
I think i went a similar time with my broken foot earlier this year and on the upside i came back better than ever.

The forced rest increased my passion and i decided i was going to be consistant in my training and stay injury free from now on.

Hope you can do the same!
R2B

D said...

Coming back from an injury is always so challenging. It's good to be running again though!

Don Juan said...

Hope the comeback is on-track. I'm back in the pool; lucky Sydney is so warm at the moment.

Samurai Running said...

Hello Ewen thanks for the message on my blog. I've known Pat only for just over a year as one of his online students and he does seem to be the real deal. I've read your blog many times but never posted until now. Yes, they have some trails here, some pretty good ones around the hills of Kyoto. The ones you run in Australia seem pretty good too, never done a race like that but I'm interested. Anyway, thanks and you have a nice running record. later Scott

Sekhmet said...

Good to see that you are getting back on your feet - it is very frustrating trying to be so patient though

Thanks for all the comments you've been leaving on my blog - they always make me laugh :-)

Shame I didn't get to meet you at the running festival - looks like I didn't need to wear the skirt anyway lol ;-)

Unknown said...

I didn't hear any singing about 'movin along the highway'.

Could it be I talked too much!