Sunday, October 30, 2005

Gravity is getting heavier

I didn't race on Thursday night. I wasn't happy. Earlier in the week I was looking forward to running my first 1500 metre race for some time and possibly doing the 3000 later in the evening.

On the night my legs felt terrible during my warm-up. Earlier I'd jogged 2.5k at Calwell with one of our sprinters and she was having to slow down to my feeble pace. Why were my legs so creaky and stiff? Well, having thought about it, I think I probably ran too hard and long the previous day. It was only 13.5k, but for me, at the moment, this is long and I'd run the middle parts fairly hard.

I watched the 1500 metre races. In the one I would have chosen, my rival Jim White was beaten by Katie in a sprint finish. Jim ran 5:43 and Katie 5:41. Had I run I would have struggled to break six minutes. After that I jogged 5 or so laps with Aki. She had done the race walk earlier and seemed happy to do this little amount of running.

Then I decided to do the high jump. I like the high jump! It's an event you can do that has no pain. It feels great when you clear the bar and land on the mats. I used to do the high jump quite a bit some years back when chasing points for my club at Interclub. I would often compete against Gerard Ryan who is an ACT running legend and former Canberra Times Fun Run winner. The high jump was the only event in which I could beat Gerard! He would bow out at 1.45 metres while I could clear 1.55 on a good day.

On Thursday night I jumped 1.30 metres and had a close miss at 1.35. Where has that 20 centimetres from 8 years ago gone? It must be the hole in the ozone layer. Yes, that's it! Gravity is getting heavier.

7 comments:

Carolyne said...

Payback for the cruel training plan you are dishing up to LL!

Maybe lack of practice in the last few years also has something to do with it?

Anonymous said...

Ewen,
Is it true we now have the Ewen Thompson 3000 Steeplechase Series (incorporating a wade in the wombat waterhole every 420 metres)?

Unknown said...

Well, there's something I might try later - the high jump! It's good that you were able to get the 'old' legs to do something that didn't involve pain! I like to watch high jump - doesn't look easy though!

strewth said...

And I must reply to your comment on my post about it being "a cow of a run" - a very appropriate comment I thought as we had so many cow pats to avoid, especially at the start! I agree that hill was definitely a killer! My calf muscles testified to that when I went running tonight.

Ewen said...

wannabe, now that we have a 1500 steeple that's my choice - much easier. Or... we could add a bike leg and charge trendathletes $100 to enter.

LL, the high jump is easy and also a simple test of the deterioration caused by ancientness.

Unknown said...

"deterioration caused by ancientness"....well, I wouldn't know anything at all about that!!

Aki said...

7 laps Ewen, 7 laps! You also forgot to mention that I distracted everyone at the high jump too! :) Seriously, if that's how you go after 'ancientness' happens, I hate to think what I'll be like at it in a few years. Making it on the mat is hard work!