Thursday, October 20, 2005

12:32.59

I've just run my first race of the 2005/06 track and field season. It was a 3000 metre event at the ACT Veterans Thursday night meeting. I finished 13th in 12:32.59. Electronic timing. You've got to love that - especially if you're a pedantic bastard like myself.

The 3000 metres is a true test of speed and endurance. If you've been weak on either or both parts of your training you can't hope to run a good 3000 metres. I don't like having results in 3000 metre races that are twelve something. I guess it's a true indication of my lack of race fitness.

Conditions were near perfect. No breeze at all and mild. The track was wet from earlier rain. In the first lap I found myself running with Peter. My rival, Jim White had arrived late and with no warm-up said he expected to run 13 minutes. The Frees felt good! I moved ahead of Peter but could never quite catch the Mick/Trevor/Ken and Mystery-female group.

My kilometre splits were 4:07, 4:13 and 4:12. Next time I'll start a little faster. Geoff has also recommended arriving at the track at least 45 minutes before the race in order to do a good warm-up. I was only able to run about a kilometre for a warm-up.

Although the race took a long time it was great that I didn't have any injury problems! No dodgy knee, bothered hamstrings or tender heels. Now I just want to get out and train hard for the next one!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You are a pedantic bastard, Ewen, but a very nice one!

12 something? You can only get faster then! If you need any advice, let me know...I have some excellent speed sessions I would willingly pass on to you!

I would like to have electronic timing too sometime.

Tesso said...

Great stuff Ewan.

We have a 3k time trial every month at Pat's and you're right, it is such a good indication of race fitness. Just wish they weren't such hard work.

speedygeoff said...

I must introduce you to the "Mystery Female" who in her first ever track race ran about 12:17 for the 3000.

Anonymous said...

Good start to the season Ewen. I feel you are on track (pun intended) to achieve your goals.

You suggested next time you might try and start faster. Perhaps you might consider finishing faster.

Keep up the consistent training.

CJ said...

It will only get better - there's a few 3000m events this track season? I'm still suffering from DOMS..badly

Aki said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aki said...

You'll have to write up about your effort today. No slacking!