Tuesday, March 08, 2005

And if I only could...

Be running up that road. Be running up that hill. With no problems.

I’m getting slightly nervous about the Six Foot Track this coming Saturday. I should be fairly relaxed as my preparation has been better than it was in 2004. Last year I was continuing my training past Six Foot so that I could run the Canberra Marathon. This year I’ve decided to run the Marathon Eve 10k so I’ve done a two week taper for Saturday.

The strange thing about this taper is that during my training today I felt pretty ordinary. I should be starting to feel rested and energised. Today I felt flat and totally without energy in spite of doing a very easy session. Quite strange.

Yesterday I trained with Geoff Moore’s group at North Lyneham and we ran a 3 kilometre time trial. During my warm-up I was feeling flat and ordinary. I began the time trial conservatively and only picked up the pace in the second half. I felt reasonable and was holding the gap to Maria, Ken and Trevor. I ran 13:15 for the course which the Forerunner said was exactly 3.00 kilometres. Although I didn’t feel brilliant the time was pretty good – 4:25 per kilometre pace for an undulating dirt course.

My taper is having one good effect. Any niggling soreness has gone from my legs and joints. I have my fingers crossed that this flat lethargy I’m feeling goes by Saturday. I’m really looking forward to the run and catching up with other CoolRunners. In Kate’s words, I hope we’re all running up that hill with no problems!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Of course you'll be running up that road, running up that hill...with no problems!

Strange you mention that 'flat feeling'; I always feel like that in a taper & the closer the event the more 'ordinary'; has to have something to do with knowing all the hard work is over; the planning & execution of each day's routine is finished & it's like being left in some sort of void, until just a day or so before the race.. well, that's how I look at it; but Chickybabe knows exactly how you feel; however, you will most definitely be running up that hill on Saturday with no problems! Chickybabe has ordered it to be so!

Jen said...

Best of luck for Saturday. I'm sure you will power up those hills. I'll keep an eye out for you - and thank you for your comments on my blog. Greatly appreciated.

Aki said...

13:15 for undulating 3k is pretty good, maybe you just need a day off, since you're tapering now it shouldn't hurt much.

Good luck!