Tuesday, March 08, 2005

And if I only could...

Be running up that road. Be running up that hill. With no problems.

I’m getting slightly nervous about the Six Foot Track this coming Saturday. I should be fairly relaxed as my preparation has been better than it was in 2004. Last year I was continuing my training past Six Foot so that I could run the Canberra Marathon. This year I’ve decided to run the Marathon Eve 10k so I’ve done a two week taper for Saturday.

The strange thing about this taper is that during my training today I felt pretty ordinary. I should be starting to feel rested and energised. Today I felt flat and totally without energy in spite of doing a very easy session. Quite strange.

Yesterday I trained with Geoff Moore’s group at North Lyneham and we ran a 3 kilometre time trial. During my warm-up I was feeling flat and ordinary. I began the time trial conservatively and only picked up the pace in the second half. I felt reasonable and was holding the gap to Maria, Ken and Trevor. I ran 13:15 for the course which the Forerunner said was exactly 3.00 kilometres. Although I didn’t feel brilliant the time was pretty good – 4:25 per kilometre pace for an undulating dirt course.

My taper is having one good effect. Any niggling soreness has gone from my legs and joints. I have my fingers crossed that this flat lethargy I’m feeling goes by Saturday. I’m really looking forward to the run and catching up with other CoolRunners. In Kate’s words, I hope we’re all running up that hill with no problems!

3 Comments:

Blogger Luckylegs said...

Of course you'll be running up that road, running up that hill...with no problems!

Strange you mention that 'flat feeling'; I always feel like that in a taper & the closer the event the more 'ordinary'; has to have something to do with knowing all the hard work is over; the planning & execution of each day's routine is finished & it's like being left in some sort of void, until just a day or so before the race.. well, that's how I look at it; but Chickybabe knows exactly how you feel; however, you will most definitely be running up that hill on Saturday with no problems! Chickybabe has ordered it to be so!

11:33 pm  
Blogger Jen_runs said...

Best of luck for Saturday. I'm sure you will power up those hills. I'll keep an eye out for you - and thank you for your comments on my blog. Greatly appreciated.

10:12 am  
Blogger Aki said...

13:15 for undulating 3k is pretty good, maybe you just need a day off, since you're tapering now it shouldn't hurt much.

Good luck!

7:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home