Sunday, February 06, 2005

Yesterday was not easy!

I thought I'd expand a bit on what I said yesterday in my real blog. I ran alone as Steve was busy. I wanted to run for longer than 3 hours but also had to be out at the track at 2pm to help Gerard with the hurdles at the A-series. I got away a bit after 9.30 and it was pleasantly cool.
I ran up the dirt track by the highway towards Gilmore with the intention of running to Isaacs. Without company I started running too quickly - don't you hate that! When the track flattened out I ran a 4:56k which was a bit scarey as we usually start closer to 6:00's. I ran around the back of Macarthur wanting to pick up the Mt Wanniassa saddle track. I had to bush-bash a bit through long grass and over rocks (walking) and saw a fox and three kangaroos.
The run through the pines at the back of Isaacs was delightful. Yobes Ondieki used to run intervals on this lovely bit of flat shaded dirt. I ran a loop down through O'Malley after 90 minutes when the GPS said 16k. By about 19k I'd drunk 2/3 of my 500ml bottle of Gatorade. Running back up across Mt Wanniassa I stopped to admire the view down over Fadden towards the Brindy's, consumed a Gu and finished the water bottle as I only had about 9k to run.
Now, just the downhill run by the highway - 5k to go and I'd have run 31k. By the time I got to the outskirts of Theodore I was suddenly very tired. Walked a bit. The GPS said 29k so I decided to short-cut, stop at 30k and walk home. That last flat 1k took me 6:17. I was knackered. I stopped at the shop and bought a big bottle of Coke. Drank half of it and then took 8 minutes to walk the last 500m home!
I collapsed on the couch and slept for 40 minutes. Dragged myself into the shower and after drinking the rest of the Coke started to feel a little better. I wasn't sure what to make of the run - I felt better at the end of last year's 6 foot track. Finally arrived at the track 40 minutes late just as the Vets 800m was finishing.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Here it is, exactly as you said below : nearly 11:15 p.m. and like you, I'm also tired & should be in bed, but having just found your blog, of course, I had to read to the end! "Knackered" you said? Perhaps, instead of running, you should have been on the 1400 which I've made a comment on under your comment in my blog. Goodnight! LL