Monday, March 11, 2019

A long time away from running

I've been coughing and spluttering my way into the 2019 running year, much like a learner driver kangaroo-hopping down a suburban road, nervous clutch foot, a parent offering calm advice from the passenger seat of an ancient manual Holden.

A 20-day break in January was followed by a week's running, then another 33 days of zeros in the diary. The cause, a 'medical condition' which I'm confident is in the past. I'm up to 2 days of running in a row — yes! The details of those runs: 1k in 5:24 followed by 4k of easy walking at the Coombs Parkrun then on Sunday evening, 2k at 5:40 per km, puffing along with the expected high average heart-rate of 139 (my maximum is about 160).

My intention is to very gradually increase the daily distance over the coming weeks until I'm somewhere near a goal volume of 60 kilometres per week. My long-term racing goal for this year is to run 5k in a time yet to be determined, something 'respectable' — in the vague range of 22 to 24 minutes. I'll stick my neck out in due course, but even 25 minutes seems lofty when out of shape. I hope all readers are having a good 2019 so far — a shout-out to Mark, who recently ran a big marathon PB of 3:08, an excellent result, achieved with clever coaching from young Scott Brown. Until the next post, be well.

Lake Stakes runners celebrating after the weekly 6k handicap run on 1 January

13 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

Good to hear from you, Ewen. Hope your troubles are all behind you.
That's a happy looking group!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ewen! Welcome back and good to hear you are running again! I know what it is like, this starting again stuff...!! I am too, but finding it quite hard in the ongoing hot weather! Hoping for some nice cool Autumn type days soon. Look forward to seeing you again at training, early run, or some trail or another! Cheers -- Miranda

Niffy Nev said...

Great to see you blogging and running again Ewen. Just keep in mind "Slow and steady wins the race".

Running Raggedy said...


EWEN! Finally, all is good with the world once again. It's been lonely in our blogging bubble. I blame bloody Twitter! Anyway, glad you're back and at it. I was getting worried. Mate, it wasn't that long ago you were running 80 to 100km +/weeks and for a sustained period. The break will be good for you. Icing on the cake. I'd wager you'll be hitting all targets you set yourself this season. I love the picture. You guys look so happy. The perfect advertisement for a sport that has 'everything'.

allrounder said...

we could pace each other back to speed!

Secret Blog for Killing Track PBs said...

Nice to see you back out there again Ewen.

Ewen said...

Thanks Bob. I'm pretty sure it's full steam ahead for 2019.

Miranda, when I'm fit enough I'll join you for some early warm-ups.

Nev, very true... I have 'slow' perfected.

Mark, thanks. Lake Stakes is a very friendly group. You should tell coach Brown that Twitter is ephemeral.

Thanks Bron. When I'm fast enough!

Thanks Bruce.

Black Knight said...

Welcome back to "bogland". I hope that all the troubles are in the past forever. All the best.

Janene said...

Great to have you back ET, You are already looking good as your form quickly improves.

Lize Brittin said...

I hope you're back on your feet fully soon!

Ewen said...

Thanks Stefano, good to hear from you.

Thanks Janene. Your improvement and form tells me 2019 will be a good year for your running.

Thanks Lize!

canute1 said...

Its good to see that your training is building up well, and that you are running some good races

Ewen said...

Thanks Canute. Good to hear from you.