Sunday, April 12, 2015

Chasing Isaac to a Parkrun 5k PB

It was a stunningly beautiful morning down at Lake Tuggeranong on Saturday. Conditions were perfect for running fast: cool (about 10 degrees C), dead calm and sunny. I was determined to run a course PB so made a point of having a rest day from running on Friday and only cycling an easy 24k. My warm-up was a tad shorter than ideal (1k of jogging rather than 2 or 3) but the legs felt good during the four strides.

As it was 'Australian Running Festival' weekend, start congestion was less than usual — there were 232 finishers rather than the 300-plus of a normal Saturday morning. I placed myself (a little impetuously) three rows back from the front and lost no more than 2 seconds crossing the start line. Started quickly then settled into a steady pace out of the park. Passed my mate Jim earlier than usual at the rowing pontoon (600 metres) then smoothly negotiated the left-right-left corners near Maccas.

Just beyond Maccas, Jen and son Isaac ran past — "I think we'll run with you" said Jen. If I can keep up was my immediate thought! And so it transpired — Jen and Isaac put about 40 metres into me over and off the footbridge. My legs, energy levels and breathing were all okay so I kept the speed at what I presumed was about 4:30 kilometres. Jen was obviously doing it easy (being a sub-20 5k runner) and was encouraging 11-year-old Isaac to keep a steady pace. Their lead was reducing up to and beyond the turn, but ever so slowly. On the downhill run to the 4k mark I started to feel confident of 'victory', closing to within 10 metres. I was psyched up to run a strong last kilometre. I ran hard, but Isaac surged with 800 metres to go and the elastic was broken. Although the 'race' was lost, I kept running hard, managing a modest sprint off the last 'speed bump' into the park. 30th place and 22:31 — a new Parkrun PB!

Isaac had run a 2-minute PB of 22:18, a fantastic run. I was feeling happy with my time and excited by the thought of running faster in coming months. I'm sure the cycling and sessions of 'strides' are making a difference. My only worry is the sharp drop-off into lactic acid pain (which I also notice when cycling). I don't have any leeway — 4:30 ks in the middle of a 5k feel fine but if I push just slightly faster my legs start protesting. I'm not quite sure what to do about that.

Jen and Isaac surge away from the old wombat

Wear a Speedygeese shirt and you'll run a PB!

Happy running friends after the Tuggers Parkrun

14 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

Well done. Nothing like a good run on a beautiful day.
But if it was Running Festival day why were there less people than usual?

Anonymous said...

Great racing.

Contrary to expectation, I think that intervals might be more efficient than tempo sessions in increasing capacity to transport and metabolise lactate

Black Knight said...

Lucky you that every saturday can run a Parkrun.
Great race, congrats.
Isaac is very fast. Today at the no-competitive run I finished 4th and the first 3 were 3 kids (apparently 12-13 y.o.) who smoked me near the finishing line ..... chatting among them.

Running Raggedy said...

That's a great shot of you and your running mates. I fear that may have been your last chance to run down Isaac. A fantastic time ... the both of you.

Ewen said...

Thanks Bob. Ah, should have explained that better. Running Festival is a different event - a 5 and 10k on Saturday and marathon Sunday. Many Parkrunners were doing that.

Canute, I think you're right. Must introduce some intervals for that purpose.

Thanks Stefano - you did well. The only way to beat young kids is to get well in front of them before sight of the finish tape!

Yes Mark, that's right. Youngsters just get faster and faster. I'll have to pick on even younger kids ;-)

Haha Geoff. Think he's very self motivated - good thing in a young runner.

Janene said...

Way to go ET with your new PR PB :-). Now all you need is a lurgy and taper and you'll be smokin' it in the sub 22 zone ;-). Good to see you running well and staying injury free.

Ewen said...

Thanks Janene. I'm saving the secret lurgy/taper for the HM Eve 5k :-)

Anonymous said...

Well done Ewen! Fantastic run and time. Chasing down Jen and Isaac is always a tall order![Miranda]

Ewen said...

Thanks Miranda. I'll tie their shoelaces together next time and make 'em start down the back.

Raina said...

Congrats on the Parkrun PB! Fall is coming on for you, so cool temps make running faster easier. More fun for the future!
It's great that you are running this well with just strides (?) for speedwork. The parkruns are maybe enough of a VO2 workout in themselves. A little longer tempo than the parkrun would make the parkrun seem easy, IMO :)

Lize Brittin said...

Wow! Congratulations on the Parkrun PB! Very cool.

The pics look great.

Ewen said...

Thanks Raina. Yes, the weather is just about perfect for both running and cycling now. That could be an idea - I do a 10k run (or two) during the week at MAF heart rate, but that's quite a bit below long tempo effort. I'll try that :-)

Thankyou Lize!

trailblazer777 said...

Good PR PB or is that PR PR.
Maybe some intervals and sub 22 soon? Fantastic...

Ewen said...

I'll go with PR PB TB :) Yes, need to get the legs used to faster speeds...