Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Whitechapel Road

A belated Happy New Year(!) to the readers of this blog. I'm back to regular pain-free running, no doubt due to the form changes recommended by Douglas Wisoff in the Youtube video I mentioned in my last post of 2013. Weekly mileage since 9 December has been 8k, 26k, 36k and 50k. I plan to eventually 'hold steady' at around 60 to 70k, the volume that preceded my good race at Dunrossil Drive on August 3 last year. Touch wood!

I'm so unfit! I feel like I'm starting from square three — that's Whitechapel Road on the Monopoly board. Square one (Old Kent Road) would be starting to run after six months of inactivity and a ten kilogram gain in weight. My weight has gone up by about 1kg so I'll blame Mum's cooking and the Christmas excess for that. The last time my heart and lungs worked so hard during 'easy' runs was in September 2006 (following a trip to Canada and America then a calf injury at the City to Surf). On September 29 of 2006 I raced the Customs Joggers 5k in 27:13 at an average heart-rate of 157 (855 heart beats per km). Last Saturday after the modest training mentioned above, I raced the Tuggeranong Parkrun 5k in 26:07 at an AHR of 147 (768 heart beats per km). My 'normal' heart beats per km when racing a 5k would be around 670.

I'm really curious to see how long it takes for my aerobic fitness to return. I'm not going to rush things. I'll do steady MAF heart-rate running, 8 to 10k per day. Parkruns on Saturday as a hit-out type race or maybe the 3000 now and then at the ACT Vets' track prior to the end of the season in April. My race goal for the year is the easiest one I've set myself for many years. I'm over my habit of never achieving yearly goals. Bugger reaching for the stars or the moon — I'm reaching for a low flying satellite! The goal is 21:59 for 5k — not all that easy as my recent best is 22:14 from 2012. It's 70.5% age-graded — 18:18 for a young runner, surely not impossible.

Conservative start in the last Tuggeranong Parkrun

17 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

Pain-free is good! Hope you stay that way and achieve your goal.

Janene said...

Glad to hear you are running pain-free ET. What did you actually change running form-wise? That video talks about core, but doesn't explain how the runners actually brought about the changes in their form. 70.5% is achievable! I'm at 71% off very little running training after all my very low intensity cycling training.

Ewen said...

Sure is Bob!

Thanks J. I think about 'engaging the core' (neutral spine in Pilates) all the time while running. Also, using the hips (hip mobility) to bring the legs forward rather than 'dragging' them forward with the hamstrings. Even though still touching the ground (lightly) first with the heels, I'm conscious of being more over the top of my feet on landing. I listen to my foot-falls. Prior to the injury I noticed a scraping sound from the left shoe so I was overstriding in particular on that side (my weak side).
You're doing well at 71%. Jealous! Think you might have a bit more natural ability than I have.

Grellan said...

Happy new year Ewen. Glad to hear that you are running pain-free. I'm sure that you'll hit one or two stars when targeting those satellites.

Raina said...

Glad to see you are running pain-free again, Ewen!! Nice work on teh 5k. Not where you want to be with pace, but your heart was HARD at work. Things will come! :)

Ewen said...

Thanks Grellan. A satellite will do. Really!

Raina, thanks. I'm happy to let my pace in the races be what it happens to be. I'm running by feel. With training runs, MAF heart-rate is steady easy running at the moment. My cardio and legs are well matched - both weak ;)

Black Knight said...

Glad that you run pain-free, this is the most important news. The aerobic fitness will come back soon.
... and also for me the race goals is the easiest: only to finish (but not the last of the last pack).

Anonymous said...

I hope that 2014 is a great year for you – for running, for health and for a happy mix of work and social life. The 5K target is certainly within reach though not something to take for granted.

Ewen said...

I agree Stefano - pain-free running is the most important thing. If you ran Parkrun you would finish ahead of the middle of the pack!

Thanks Canute. Same to you for 2014 and all the best with your marathon preparation.

Running Raggedy said...

They are nice increases in weekly mileage. With no injury concerns it would seem you have managed yourself expertly. Here's a question for you Ewen. If you were to run a marathon in six months, what average heart rate would you expect of yourself having just achieved your goal time?

Ewen said...

Interesting question Mark. The last time I ran a marathon was 10-odd years ago, before I was regularly using the HRM.
I'd expect to maintain an average heart rate about 8 to 10 beats lower than what I'd average for a half (due to the fact that the first 20 miles of a marathon is run very comfortably). So, for me that would be averaging around 135. When fully fit, that equates to about 5:12 per km over longer distances, giving a theoretical marathon time of 3:40.

Karla @ Run, Karla, Run! said...

Welcome back! Glad to hear you're running pain free! I'm sure your fitness will come back quicker than you know it. I always find that I trudge through a bunch of workouts then, snap, one day I'm back. Smart to take it easy, though.

Ewen said...

Thanks Karla. At the moment, it's very small gains week to week on similar runs. You're right though about those sudden big improvements that happen seemingly overnight. Waiting patiently for those!

Anonymous said...

Happiest New Year wishes Ewen! Here's to 2014 being a year of fun running, fast racing & good health for you + lots of blog posts from you! Wow - you did well to only put on 1kg over Christmas :-) Really pleased you're back on track & over your hammy/calf issues.
Fiona

Ewen said...

Thankyou Fiona! I only went for one helping of dessert instead of my usual two ;) Same to you re fun and fast running in 2014! Stay cool in the pool.

Unknown said...

That is a good goal for 2014. I myself have just stumbled across a local Parkrun. Done my first this morning in Townsville with over 70 runners. Good luck and hopefully you will be back to where you were and injury free in no time.

Ewen said...

Thanks Shane. Hey, nice first Parkrun - plenty of 'New PB!'s to come for you I'm sure.