Sunday, November 24, 2013

Melbourne City2Sea Fun Run

This race was held last Sunday. It's a sister event of the Sydney City to Surf — same distance of 14k, but NOT the same crowd or hills. The field is limited to a very manageable 13,000 and the course is pretty much dead flat. My mate Jim encouraged me to enter after the City to Surf — he was going to 'do the double' of City 2 Sea followed by the Eureka Tower Run-Up. Mad bastard! Anyway, I'd entered and paid for everything prior to the hamstring injury so was committed to go, even though it looked like I may be a spectator.

In the end I was able to run (if in some discomfort) for part of the race. I decided early on to stop at 5k and walk the remaining 9k to the finish at St Kilda. It was a beautiful run — quite low-key compared to the City to Surf, but equally well organised. I started about 100 metres back in the 'Red Group' (for sub-75-minute runners). I would take a slightly embarrassing 1:52:10 to complete the 14k. I was pretty happy with my first 5k, keeping up with the people I was running with, clicking off ks of just over 5 minutes. Stopped at 5k in 25:42 (average HR was 144, the same that I recorded for the City to Surf!). Not fit!

Afterwards I easily met up with Jim (who'd run 71:08) and we caught a crowded tram back to the Arts Centre. We walked back to our hotel, then returned to the Eureka Tower. Jim then ran up the stairs, taking 14 minutes or so, exactly twice the time of the winner. Pretty impressive if you ask me!

Since then I've been doing short runs and the hamstring is responding well (to that, and stretching exercises). I think it's hamstring tendinitis. Anyway, yesterday I raced the Tuggers 5k Parkrun, finishing 53rd out of 161 in a time of 25:32. Average HR was 149, and more interestingly, maximum was 162 as I sprinted to the finish, successfully holding off an older lady. It's easy to get high maximum heart-rates when you're not fit!


14 comments:

Raina said...

Shoot. Well, at least you can run a little while you sort out / stretch and heal the tendon. Or, it sounds that way.
I try not to pay for any races ahead of time, if I can at ALL avoid it. I have a hard time turning down a race once I have registered for it, even if it was a free entry.
Hope you continue to heal up. The fitness will return once your leg is better!

TokyoRacer said...

Glad to hear you can still outkick the old ladies!

Ewen said...

Raina, yes, 5 to 8k runs should be OK I hope. Yes, if I hadn't been travelling with Jim, probably would have bailed on the race. Glad I didn't though - it was a fun weekend.

Bob, I'm mild mannered but have a mean competitive streak!

Anonymous said...

Good news that your hammy is now on the mend & it was a was a fun weekend away in Melbourne even though it wasn't quite the race you originally anticipated. What a great little video/photo - I can never see too many race photos! Now I want to add this one to my list of 'must do' races.
Fiona

Black Knight said...

I hope you can completely heal soon.
I think that you are doing now the right thing: to take it easy. The Park-runs are nice and well organized events.
25:32 is a good finishing time considering the tendon's problems.

Thomas said...

Uh - don't think that was a good idea, mate.

Just put your legs up for a while and enjoy the pommies being humiliated.

Anonymous said...

This hamstring problem is a frustrating nuisance. It is tricky to get the right balance between rest and mobilization when recovering for an injury. On the whole, I think that active recovery is usually preferable once any acute inflammation has resolved, provided you stop before the point of overt pain. I hope that the remaining niggle settles soon. But whatever the optimum balance between rest and active recovery, it is certainly the right time to enjoy the cricket.

strewth said...

Love the video! Do hope you recover quickly from your injury. I have to admire your perseverance!

Running Raggedy said...

A very nice video at the end there Ewen. As for humiliating a dear old lady at the end of that 5K, I wouldn't expect anything less from you ruthless Aussies.

Ewen said...

Thanks Fiona. You should do it! Such a low stress race compared to City to Surf - just the right size. It was easy to line up where I wanted and didn't feel like a sardine with no room to run.

Thanks Stefano. It's slowly coming along. Today's run was less painful than yesterday's. Funny, but I was running 'harder' for 25:32 than for 23:10 a few weeks ago.

Thomas, yes! I am enjoying that. Love test cricket, especially when we're winnning.

Canute, that's the balance I'm aiming for. Slow jogging seems to be actively stretching the hamstring, so that's good.

Ruth, I'm inspired by your perserverance. Might get Jenny to do some physio/massage work on the legs.

Mark, that's good! I know you blokes would be just as ruthless playing the poms.

Rob said...

It must have taken some will power to stop running and walk at the 5k mark Ewen. I would have been buoyed along by the moment until I was hobbling and forced to limp along.

Ewen said...

Rob, I could have continued for another 3 or 4 ks at a slow jog but didn't want to extend the recovery process so it was easy to stop at 5k.

Black Knight said...

Very good Wallabies against the Dragons. Congrats.

Ewen said...

Thanks Stefano. My cousin Ewen McKenzie has whipped them into good form ;) He could still do with you as an assistant coach though.