Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Unforgiving Hour

I've had three races since the 22:17 track 5000. Tuesday November 6 was a 5k with the YCRC runners on Stromlo's lovely grass. I ran 22:43 for that and noted in the diary that the legs were still sore from the previous day's Speedygeese relay sprints. On November 13 I ran the YCRC Barrenjoey Drive 5k in 23:07. That was a fairly uneventful race — ran evenly 'by feel' again and caught up to a few fast-starting runners in the third lap. Although slower than last year (22:22), I was encouraged as I hadn't 'busted a gut' to run the time (it was more of a tempo run than an all-out race). Average heart-rate was 143 (compared to last year's 152) — so 680 heart-beats per km last year verses a 'fitter' 661 this year. Two days later I raced for an hour on the track. Strange race that one! I ran round and round. And round... trying to put in an effort something akin to half-marathon race-pace. Ended up with 12,575 metres in the hour — 4:46 per km at an ave HR of 144.

Running hard for an hour on the track isn't easy! Especially as our Mondo surface is over 10 years old — feels like running on concrete covered by a thread-bare kitchen carpet. My shins were complaining for the last 20 minutes. I ran by feel again, dropping back from Roger early (he stretched out the 'lead' to 40 metres). After about 6k I caught up rather quickly and moved ahead. With about 8 minutes to run he appeared on the track just in front of me following a porta-loo stop! Passed him again, then for a bit of fun after Steve and Helen lapped me (for the second time) tried to keep them from getting more than 200 metres ahead (1k for the race). Successful with that — also with running a 'huge' 7 metres further than last year. Average heart-rate was 2 beats/minute lower so I think I'm marginally fitter than I was at this time last year.

Immediate plans are to continue racing on the track, do the YCRC events as tempo runs, Speedygeese sessions for speed/strength and Stromlo interval sessions for speed-endurance/race-pace muscular co-ordination. If it all holds together I hope to be in M50 PB form by the new year. Good luck to all who are racing (or coming back from injury or trying to run!) — enjoy it if you're running well — if not, keep trying!

17 comments:

Two Fruits said...

The Mondo track need replacing as my shins were sore during the race, then the heels also got sore from landing too flat footed, not enough racing. The hour run is mostly about even pacing, so will interesting to have a detailed look at the lap splits when the time sheets are returned.

TokyoRacer said...

You ran a 23:07, which is 4:36/km, then 12.5k at 4:46. Seems like you are a 10k or above man....
Thanks for your comment, I continue to see gradual improvement.

strewth said...

Well done Ewen. You are obviously running comfortably except for those sore shins! Not surprising after running round and round and round on a hard surface!

Ewen said...

2Fs, agree with that! I'm voting for the party that replaces it with a nice soft Rekotan one like we used to have. Yes, will be interesting. Think your first k was about 4:04!

Bob, yes - especially at the moment. Speed is lacking - only have 3 interval sessions under the belt. In the old days the 800 was my best distance by age percentage.

Thanks Ruth. I wasn't comfortable this morning - chasing Andy, Sarah and Kym. Ouch!

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Wow you have been busy of late.
Running round a concrete track for an hour sounds painful!
What shoes did you wear?

Lize Brittin said...

I'm not sure I could do an hour on the track, even at a jog! Nice running lately. :)

Karla said...

An hour race on a track? Phew! I'm not sure I'd have that in me. Well done. I've heard of track marathons too. Now THAT's crazy :)

Ewen said...

Rick the Kinvaras. Think they put me more onto the mid-foot. They were fine (no shin pain) in the Melbourne Half - much more surface variation on a road course.

Thanks Lize. It's quite the mental test!

Karla, yes I've heard of those! There was an indoor marathon too. You won't catch me lining up for anything more than an hour on the track that's for sure.

Jog Blog said...

You are still streaking and still running well. On the one hand that's great, but perhaps on the other hand, it may be time to take a week (or two?) off to fully freshen up and to start running/racing anew. Just a thought ....

Thomas said...

You sure are racing a lot at the moment, though using "races" as tempo runs is a smart move.

Don't read too much into the 2 bpm difference - HR is influenced by a lot of factors, present fitness being only one of them and 2 bpm are not enough data on their own to draw any conclusions.

Anonymous said...

Your aerobic base appears pretty good. The fact that the 800m has been your best event, both as a youngster but also in more recent years, indicates that there is a reserve of speed in your legs. Maybe a few weeks with emphasis on hills and drills and then some fairly sharp intervals together with adequate recovery will unlock that speed.

Ewen said...

Liz, good thought. Should have had a week or 10 days off after Gold Coast. Maybe the first week of 2013 will have to do now.

Thomas good point. I feel like my HR is being negatively influenced by some long/tiring work days of late. Intuitivey I feel like I'm in better shape than last year.

Canute, yes! I feel like I'm far away from any sort of decent speed - particularly 800m speed! In the intervals at Stromlo last Sunday even 3k race-pace was a strain. Your idea of drills/sharp intervals/recovery to unlock the speed is a good one.

Janene said...

There will be some AMA runners in for a rude shock when they front up for AMA Nationals in April. Bring on a new track and facility at Stromlo!

Having now watched that hour run a few times, I can't see myself ever being tempted. I think distance is easier to pace on the track!

Good job on that 7 metre gain, but dare I say it, maybe that drop in HR is just being another year older. The max HR does decline with age ;-).

Unknown said...

Janene is right! But take it from me....a lot of other things besides max HR decline with age! You're doing extremely well though.

Ewen said...

J, it's not that bad. We can do a swap next year - you run while I hand out the drinks and watch the suffering ;-) Don't you dare say it!

Thanks Luckylegs. I'm yet to notice other 'things' declining with age. Your race times certainly aren't - you're faster than you were 5 years ago!

Cathleen said...

Wow! An hour on the track! That has to be some great mental callousing. I'm guessing you had to run in the same direction the entire time? Have you noticed any particular sense of strain on one side of the body versus the other?

(PS. I finally figured out how to fix my computer settings....!!)

Ewen said...

Thanks Cathleen. Yes, pays to leave the brain at home for that one. Left turns all the way - would have loved to change direction. My right calf has been troublesome lately. Now that you mention it, maybe from so many left turns!

Glad you've got your computer sorted. Well done on your marathon again - great time!