Sunday, October 07, 2012

The 15k tempo run

I mentioned in my last post the idea of completing a 15k tempo run a week out from the Melbourne Half. This happened yesterday morning — a cool and cloudy day with some light rain falling late during the run. I had the company of running mates: Andy, Jen, Kelley, Mick and Tori. We ran one of my favourite 'long run' loops which starts on the Mount Ainslie trail (we hike the 600 metres or so up to the start from behind the War Memorial — Kelley jogged there as she doesn't like walking).

The first 3k took us along the main trail, down a narrow bush track to Campbell Park then towards the Duntroon golf course. This turned out to be the 'warm-up' as I chatted to Mick about his marathons, injuries and plans to return to track racing. 5:38, 5:41 and 5:30 for those kilometres. I wound up the pace as we ran down to and around the perimeter of the golf course. We re-grouped at Molonglo Reach before running the rest of the course which follows the bike path through the Wetlands, beside the lake to Commonwealth Bridge then back to a finish point at the bottom of Anzac Parade. This part of the loop is flat apart from the bridge, and easy running.

After the Wetlands, Andy and Jen took up the pacing duties. Easy running for both, as it was a little slower than Andy's expected marathon pace and slower than Jen's usual long-run pace. I was hanging on, not in total comfort. Mick, Tori and Kelley (chatting all the way) were about 50 metres behind. My kilometres from 4 to 15 went: 5:07, 4:49, 5:10, 5:02, 5:01, 4:59, 5:04, 5:15, 5:11, 5:26 (the bridge), 5:08 and 5:17. I was quite happy to stop at 15k with the others. Kelley though, insisted on jogging the 1k back up to the War Memorial (there's something strange about marathon runners). The 15k took 1:18:19 to run (5:13 per k or 8:24 per mile), so not quite the 15k at 5:04s I was thinking about last week. It was still a good run though and a confidence-booster for Melbourne. If I don't break 1:40 I'll be hoping for a result near the 1:41:50 that Canute ran last weekend — and also hoping for similarly pained and dramatic finish photos!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ewen,
Your 1Km splits in your 15 Km run were a lot faster than anything I achieved on a similar length run during my training; your total volume over the past 6 months was 15% greater; and your racing experience in that period, infinitely greater, so the pointers are to a time much faster than mine. So go for it. Good luck.

Black Knight said...

You will break that 1:40. 5:13/km in a workout with the first 3 km as warm up is a fast pace.
In November the All Blacks will come to Rome ..... poor Italy!!! I bet 70 - 3.
Congrats for the 25 - 19.

Ewen said...

Thanks Canute. That's encouraging. The weather at this stage looks promising too - 6 to 20 and sunny.

Stefano, thanks. If only Italy would employ you as their coach! Then I think the score will be All Blacks 60 Italy 20 ;)

Jon in Tokyo said...

If you can train at 5.13 you will race a lot faster. think you will smash 1-40. Good luck.

rinusrunning said...

You can run faster than you think and i think you can run the marathon in a 3:45 if you want!.
Good luck and you run good....

Lize Brittin said...

I agree with Jon that the tempo run shows you are definitely within striking distance of that 1:40 goal. I can't wait to read the race report! Good luck and have fun training. :)

Ewen said...

Jon, thanks. Yes, I can race the shorter distances (up to 10k) quite a bit faster than tempo runs. Not sure how much faster I can race a half marathon though - it's been a long time!

Thanks Rinus. If I ever run a marathon under 3:45 I'll do a shirtless victory lap ;)

Lize, thanks for your vote of confidence. Don't forget to vote in the big one by the way. I think it'll be close if I break it - seconds rather than minutes.

Unknown said...

You can do it! Seconds are OK!

Ewen said...

Thanks for your confidence Luckylegs. I'm still jealous that you have a habit of smashing records by many minutes!

Sling Runner said...

Thanks for your tip on Hola One One shoes. The cushioning helped me to run with 'less pain' LOL

Good luck for Melbourne and let us know how u go.

Ewen said...

Good to hear Sling. I might try a pair to help with this calf DOMS ;)