Tuesday, July 01, 2008

After the Gold Rush

After bragging about our mild winter, the weather took a decidedly cold, wet and windy turn yesterday. Never mind — soon I'll be flying 1000 kilometres north, following the sun to the Gold Coast! This year I'm racing in the 10km event for the first time. Usually I've done the half marathon — chasing a fast time on a flat course. As I'm training for 3000 metre track races this year, I thought the 10k would be far enough.

The photo shows me (yellow singlet) after the finish of the half in 1995, looking a bit dazed and tired. I'd been running with Raewyn Blair (2510) during the race and she out-sprinted me to the finish. Although not a PB, I was fairly happy with the run. I wrote in the diary: "Great result, course PB. 1st k 3:38, last 3:55. Early start was hard, no warm-up. Good conditions, 12°C, light breeze. Training shoes. 83 minutes may have been possible. 5k splits - 19:33, 19:45, 19:54, 20:02".

I'm catching up with some old (and ancient) friends on the weekend — we'll be eating, drinking, being merry, and running. See you all next week!

I'm looking a bit dazed and tiredAfter running 21.1k, I'm looking a bit dazed and tired

18 comments:

Robert Song said...

Look at Mother Nature on the run in the Nineteen ... Nineties. Good Run.


Flying Mother Nature's
Silver seed to a new home in the sun.


Have a great race and hope it isn't too hot for you.

I am looking forward to catching up again.

Tesso said...

You forgot to mention the belly punching.

See you soooooooon!

speedygeoff said...

I know who sang "After the Gold Rush" but until now I hadn't heard of the Neil Young track "Base, Racing and Training". Or should that be "Bass"?

Hamburglar said...

Good luck Ewen!

Bruce said...

All the best for a fast time Ewen. Hopefully its not too hot for you up there!

Cirque said...

Hi Ewen
I' not sure if I fit into the old, ancient or even the friend category but I'm looking forward to catching up on the weekend.

Toasty said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k35b7M-BtYI

Pizza Boxes???

strewth said...

I'm no doubt one of the "ancient" ones - just don't forget to book dinner!! Have a safe flight - see you soon in the sunshine. After today's weather I just can't wait!

Grellan said...

Best of luck in the 10k Ewen. You should be on for an M50 PB.

I'd love to have a photo of me looking dazed under a 01:23:xx half marathon finishing clock.

jojo said...

have fun in the tenner

Anonymous said...

Cold and windy down here in Melbourne too, heading up to the sunny GC tomorrow.

Running the 10km with my bro but his goal is around 64 minutes so will be self seeded a little further back than you.

Have fun :-)

Rob said...

Have great 10K Ewen. I hope to see you there.

jen said...

Sounds fun! Good luck on the race and enjoy the reunion with old friends. :)

Anonymous said...

i see that my debut in the half makes you too nervous to race against me. sigh. oh well.

Stephen Lacey said...

Ewen, you are unlikely to see this before the run. Closeted as you are in your hotel. Carbs on board. Hydrated. Rested. Meditating. Breath iiiin. Breath ooout....OK, so, maybe now is a good time to catch up on the latest Phantom comic :-)

Hope it all goes/went well.

Steve

Stu Mac said...

I know the race has been run and I haven't yet checked the results, but I am betting on an age PB!!!

Good luck, in hindsight

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a good one, sorry we didn't catch up. I ended up with gastro type problems and didn't run.

Ewen said...

Hi all. I arrived back in cool, damp Canberra this evening. Thanks for your comments. Sorry I wasn't able to catch up with everyone who was also there enjoying that glorious Queensland weather.

Thanks to the runners who called out "go Ewen" on the out/back section of the course. I had a great time at the Gold Coast, but not a fast time. 45:15 - 314th outright and 9th male 50-54. About 2 minutes slower than what I was hoping for.

I think I just had an "off day". I said to Katy at the post-race CR drinks that I was feeling "off like a maggoty chop" [but not as off as Steve from Melbourne!]. She tried to encourage me with humour by saying "we say 'off like a prom dress' ".