Monday, March 17, 2008

The reason we run Six Foot

It's been one week and two days since Six Foot. Only now am I able to run normally. Without pain. Well, some of my normal running involves pain, but not the delayed muscle-soreness kind of pain that comes from having run too far, and over too many mountains.

Grellan expressed surprise that I'd gone and run an 'ultra', when I'd been spending the summer training studiously for faster 3k times around the 400 metre track. The Six Foot Track Marathon has something which keeps drawing me back, year after year. I just love it.

Blogging friend Hamburglar ran Six Foot this year with a mate Will, who was carrying his trusty Olympus digital camera. Will's video, wonderfully produced, does a brilliant job of conveying the emotion of Six Foot. Have a look. I hope to see you running through the Blue Mountains on a Saturday in March, some year in the near future.

Will's Six Foot Video

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

not done yet. gettin' a little spewy. very blair witch. i just hope i don't see runners' teeth at the end.

and i better see an in-depth interview with the best Pee Bee'er ever.

Anonymous said...

aw man, and it ended with Iz. i always cry to that.

what a great video.... spewing aside. i never knew what it was like other than some number in some place for some sport. just stats. that vid really showed me that your PB was more than just amazing -- it was katythegreatyriffic!

Samurai Running said...

As ihatetoast said the video puts the run and your time into perspective.I see that you beat some people with better much faster recent road PBs than you.

A fantastic race!

That experience/time will keep you warm in the cold days of your running retirement.

If I ever do a "bush run" I will have you to thank for the encouragement. You make it all sound very worthwhile.

Rob said...

The video sure gave me a much better appreciation of 6'. It is very inspiring. Maybe I could do that run one year soon.

Superflake said...

I ran it becasue it seemed like a good thing to do at the time. Loved every 302 mins of it last year. I'm sure when I decide to race it hard I will curse every foot of it.

Tesso said...

Great vid! I sure can see the attraction if you like trails.

I'm glad I waited for the movie to come out - now I don't have to run it :)

Runner Susan said...

If you get Katy to run it I'll come over and do it too!

Dubs said...

Cool video! That looks like so much fun!! Cool video Will!

Congrats on it!!

Unknown said...

Wow! What a beautiful place for a race! Looks like a lot of fun. I can understand why you wouldn't want to miss that each year. Great job!

Ali said...

Awesome video! WOW

If Susan is in, I'm in too!

strewth said...

Even I could be tempted after seeing that video - it was awesome!

Stephen Lacey said...

Add me to the voices of awe of that video. I know some of that country, but not as a runner. It is imperative that I change this.

trailblazer777 said...

Cool! Thanks for sharing the 6 foot vid! Maybe just maybe I will be there running it next year or the year after...really keen to rise to the challenge!
Legendary stuff!