Monday, October 15, 2007

Totally Addicted to Base!

This afternoon I was bad. Not the badness that results from inhaling chocolate at KokoBlack like CJ and friends. The badness that results from venturing into anaerobic territory. Running without oxygen is not part of Hadd-training. I've been good for so long – 13 weeks with nary a sprint! Just a diet of upper and lower aerobic runs, fully with oxygen. 95 kilometres per week.

I got sucked in. It was the Monday Speedygeoff session at Parliament House. Usually I'm so damned disciplined, and happily run at the back of the group. This afternoon I was partnered in a continuous relay with Strewth. We were coming last and I impulsively decided to do something about it. I started running without oxygen. I ran four of my relay legs hard – on my final fast one I was chasing Katie and managed, more or less, to keep up! Katie is a fast middle distance runner. My heart-rate soared to 164 at the top of the hill, very close to my maximum.

It was fun, and we didn't come last! However, I won't be doing this again any time soon. I'm totally addicted to base. Arthur Lydiard suggests that aerobic training can go on and on with no negative consequences. Anaerobic training (running without oxygen), although necessary to reach peak racing form, takes "bricks" away from the base. I don't think I've laid all my bricks, so it's back to Hadd-training for another three months. Maybe more.

19 comments:

Stephen Lacey said...

Wow, this has been a real road to Damascus type conversion for you hasn't it! Or maybe the original contrast was exaggerated just a tad by the banter. Whatever, it seems to be doing you the world of good.

Samurai Running said...

"Running without oxygen" seems to me like one of those things that you should try to avoid. But you fell into the "retard trap." Didn't you!!!

Just remember the rule from your younger days about how not to suffocate.

Rule: Never stick your head in there even if the plastic bag contains "Cheese," "Shiny Thing" Etc.

If you're still confused see my blogs' lastest post for details.

2P said...

I prefer to think of it as an acid trip :)

Grellan said...

Ewen, I'm sure the odd bit of oxygen deprivitation won't do you any harm. I'll certainly be returning to HADD in a few weeks time.

Anonymous said...

Oh come on Ewen, that was the best fun when you were chasing me up the hill, you made my night.....until Ben got voted off Australian Idol!!!

KT

Superflake said...

So running on empty is the same thing isn't it? You'll need a base for Six Foot again anyway. The runner in the internal half starts at 6am due to handicapping. I think they just want us all to finish the same time which is 8:30am so they can open the park roads.

Anonymous said...

Okay, you're forgiven this time, but was it goooooood.

Stu Mac said...

Such discipline! But some variety probably wouldn't have hurt, too much..

Lulu said...

Based on your lovely new PB, it seems to be working so I'd stick to it!

Thomas said...

I think we all need a bit of naughtiness from time to time.

strewth said...

Hey Ewen - that was the best! Thank you for ensuring we didn't come last!

Hamburglar said...

I am sure Hadd will forgive you just this once.

I think Spud is a good example of someone who just keeps getting better training in the aerobic zone.

Unknown said...

Now, if I Hadd done anything like that, I'd never hear the end of it! For shame!!

Unknown said...

I was just thinking : how could you be running "without oxygen"? Wouldn't you be dead?!

Eagle said...

You have me rereading Hadd again and I may just incoporate some of his thoughts but stay mainly with Arthur. I might add CR Johhny Dark is now totally into Lydiard and directing his efforts to Canberra 2008.

Bruce said...

We cant be good all the time Ewen, I'm sure you'll replace the 'lost' bricks from your base in no time. Thansk for the tip on not landing infront of your C of G.

Tesso said...

A-waowa-ow... A-waowa-ow...

I'm gonna give this Lydiard thing a go too. Call me a sheep. Reminds me of another song ... when you're awake you're a sheep, yeah yeah.

Runner Susan said...

I think I only have one brick then, maybe only a 1/2 of one.

Anonymous said...

switch to adobe.